Forum home The potting shed

im so glad that gw is on for 1h

AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 361

im so glad that gw is on for a full hour. 30m never seems long enough. 

is this going to be a permanent thing?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,746

Hi Giddy. So far I think it is just an 8 week trial. I love the hour long programme too.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,715

I wasn't as impressed with the second programme, having loved most of the first.  There were more sections where I felt myself reaching for the remote to do some channel hopping.  Inevitable I suppose when they are adding more content.  I still feel the weakest part is the urban gardening stuff.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,746

I have to agree there KT. I would prefer to see more of Monty and garden though I found the Carol Klein item on the Rose family interesting. I would love it if they put ALL the plant names in all the sections on screen so that we know what to go away and research.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • On the subject of the urban gardening, I was surprised that she only used a bit of bendy wire with the rubber on the outside to hold up the vertical planters. Surely that would fall down sharpish?

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

The urban gardening bit is very weak.  I would rather see streets where neighbours have worked hard in small front gardens to make them attractive. .. . . I think that would give more inspiration to others.

SW Scotland
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Same thinking here too.  I'm still pleased that the programme is an hour long.  I love Countryfile too but not every section interests me.  Horses for courses, as they say.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,715

The urban garden section seems more like 60 Minute Makeover, or Changing Rooms.  Looks fine as long as you don't look too closely - or come back to see how it's lasted.

I've enjoyed Carol's more in-depth pieces.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,909

I think the urban gardening bit is aimed at really novice novices, so probably not most of the regulars on here. I'm enjoying the tropical garden sections. I've not a snowball's chance of ever doing that here but I watched the London garden and picked up quite a few ideas for my own roof garden image. Haven't quite fixed that chap's name yet, but I like him - nice quiet presenter who lets the people he's talking to speak. The only one I haven't liked so far was the lady in the Torquay garden who didn't let the guy get a word in edgewise. But his garden was interesting, even if we were all left messing with the replay button trying to catch the plant names 

“There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • Going to have a go of taking cuttings from my roses - especially 'That Jazz', as my other half keeps taking fresh flowers for his Moroccan cooking!?