Recommendation for Lawn Edging

I am considering putting some cost effective edging for my lawn. Any recommendations?  Do you mow over those?

Saw some in ebay but not sure of quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141223467141?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=440301138456&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,415

Yes you would mow over it.  The current lawn edge needs to be pretty level to start with, and you'll need to cut a slot around the edge deep enough for the edging to drop into.  Many of them claim you can hammer it in, but that has never worked for me.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,945

Not my bag I'd have to say. I've never seen it used in an attractive manner. Usually looks a bit rubbish. IMHO.

Devon.

The other thing to bear in mind is that once you've put some form of edging in it obviously limits the ability to modify the borders.  I've used plastic edging in the past and it's partly done the job, in that it does make removal of grass overgrowing, and weed ingress, into the borders easier.  If I was going to put permanent edging in again I would bite the bullet and get good quality metal edging.  It's used in parks and large gardens as it avoids the need to constantly recut the edges and prevents edge collapse with heavy footfall.

I'm glad I haven't put anything permanent in yet as, although I was sure at the time that I was happy with the line of the borders, I have since started to reconsider the lines.  Yes, I could have removed metal edging and reused it but it would have been a lot of work.  I do have problems with some of the grass edges collapsing but haven't been able to work out why yet.  None gets any more traffic than the rest, and some is still solid.

Just the wonders of gardening I guess.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,914

I used something like Smartedge to do the borders of my two lawns. It is invisible and has stopped me continually cutting in to the grass to extend the borders. A good thing.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,963

When I extended my garden 2 years ago I considered installing hard edging (bricks) to separate my mixed borders from the lawn. Then I found out that bricks are very rare in my part of France. Finally I gave up the idea and am glad I did, because I subsequently modified my borders in several places.

@Verdun, I'm quite surprised that you write that "to extend or change border edges [is] easily done" when you use "concrete edging".

The only problem I have is with those flowering plants in my borders that tend to grow over the edges towards the lawn, when I mow the lawn. I usually have to give it a "manual finish".

Recommended reading on this topic "How do you like your edges? " at http://thinkingardens.co.uk/articles/how-do-you-like-your-edges-by-thomas-stone/ on the excellent thinkinGardens website.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).

Maybe I'm just soft, but I wouldn't describe taking a hammer and chisel to 6 inch wide concrete edging as 'easy'image