Rockery position

good afternoon 

i have a area in my garden that is approximately 1.5m square. This area is north west facing and receives constant sun for 7 hours in somer months But only 2 hours in winter. 

Could this area be used as a rockery with alpines or do all alpines need full sun? 

Many thanks 

Andy

• I think 7 hours counts as full sun.  Go for it, if it fails in spectacular fashion you'll soon find something else to put in there!

• I just worry as the 7 hours sun is the Hight of summer. Spring and Autumn is about 3 - 4 hours. 

I think your right. I will give it a go and see what happens. 

Thanks 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058

There are plenty of rockery plants that grow in shady places. Many of the 'alpines' sold in GCs are not alpine plants, they're just small plants.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,635

Is it a warm spot - out of the wind? There are plenty of alpines and herbs that are happy if they are warm, even if they aren't in baking sun. As long as there's plenty of grit in the soil so it drains freely, you'll find many that will do well. But if it's cold there - exposed to a northwesterly wind - you may be more restricted. If that's the case, have a look at plants that are listed as suitable for growing on roofs at least to get things started, and expect to need to cover the soil with a heavy shingle or gravel to reduce water evaporation from the surface.

There are plants that grow in any situation, especially if your soil is good. Some conditions need a little more research than others image

Flying...
    Or am I falling?
  • Giddy123 says:

I just worry as the 7 hours sun is the Hight of summer. Spring and Autumn is about 3 - 4 hours. 

I think your right. I will give it a go and see what happens. 

Thanks 

See original post

I think as long as your bear that in mind when you 're choosing plants then you should be fine.  Something spring-flowering like Lithodora might not be such a good choice, for example.

• Thanks for your replys. It does get a little windy out there but it should be protected buy the hedge. 

Im planning on following these steps (see link) is the anything else I need the be aware of? 

http://www.amateurgardening.com/how-to/autumn-plants/create-an-alpine-rockery-624