wisteria pruning

I bought a wisteria last year from b&q and was told to trim back in August, which I did. This year I made a umbrella frame and potted it  in a larger pot. Is it to late to trim back now? I haven't had any flowers this year and didn't expect any as it was only a young plant. Should I leave it this year to fill up the  frame?or can I still prune it ?I heard if you prune, it encourages flower buds for the following year. I can't wait till I get my first flower.imageimage

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 14,724

That is going to look so stunning when you have finished. I think you could still prune back some of the whippy growth.

p.s. Love the giant Ladybird! image

Life always offers you a second chance - its called tomorrow.
  • Thanks Ladybird4,

I will do that later today.

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 602

August is the time to trim back new growth to 5 or 6 buds. I think being a week or so later will still be fine. In early January take these same stems back to 2 or 3 buds. Cut well above the bus as they are delicate. 

Last edited: 07 September 2016 17:16:11

• Thanks for that Dave, I will   put that in my diary.

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 602

No problem and good luck. Looks like you'll have a really nice feature plant there. There's a few good videos on YouTube on pruning but they are basically as stated. This leads to a good flower display. 

• It's now early January, can I still prune my Wisteria now even though were due  some bad weather with freezing conditions or should I wait a bit longer.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,201

Best wait till the heavy frosts are over.  It can be done in February if necessary.

See this for advice from the RHS - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=242 

The Vendée, France
  • Thanks Obelixx, I'll leave it for now and wait a bit longer. Thanks for the link.image

• mushermusher Posts: 390

Hello Paula

I agree with Obelixx, it's better being patient, than failing

• Hi Doghouse Riley,

Any chance you could post a photo of a "fat" bud?

Just looked at mine and they don't seem to be very far on at all.

• Thanks  image

• Thanks musher,

I do live in a cold pocket area and I can only just see the buds coming through but they are very tiny. As I didn't get to cut all the ends of the new growth  because of all the leaves in the way in  August, do I still only cut back 2-3buds in Jan - Feb or can I cut more?

• WOW Doghouse Riley, that looks fantastic. I would love to have put mine on the back fence or even a pergola but I haven't got room. I only hope the canes which hold mine up will hold the weight as it get larger.

Thanks for the advice.

• If you forget to prune back in August, is it better to still go ahead and winter prune back to 2 buds? I don't understand the purpose of pruning twice per year image

• Thanks Doghouse Riley, it looks beautiful. I only have a young one that i bought in Aldi last year but it put on a huge amount of growth. It's probably too young to flower but i'll have a go at pruning anywayimage

• Hi DHR,

Thanks for this .... very helpful to see in detail.

The buds on mine are all still slim .... maybe because I'm in Scotland and everything is a good bit further behind.

Do you feed your wisteria? If so, when and what?

• Hi,

Thanks for the info. re feeding .....  my wisteria is in a large pot and I've been giving it homemade comfrey feed.

Your garden is lovely ... you clearly enjoy it.