Pond weed

Hi can anyone help my little wildlife pond is 2 year old & this year is full of pond weed I have tried to scoop ot out but it clings round the plants and looks as bad the next day I have lots of frogs but worry that all the pond weed is bad for them & other wildlife. At the end of November should I take all the plants out and swill them then try to get water clear of the pond weed or do the frogs live at the bottom of the pond in winter.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,665

Hi little bee. If there is mud at the bottom of your pond then frogs will hibernate in it over winter. When you talk about pond weed are you talking of the floating duckweed on the surface or blanket weed? Floating pond weed is not bad for the creatures that live in the pond but blanket weed can make it difficult for them to get around if it is too thick.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,607

The duck weed is there because it likes the conditions you provide, but it is a bu**er to get rid of.
    It's not causing your pond any problems and is completely natural.
    In a bigger pond you can use a hose on the surface to 'push' it all to one end then net it out - takes a while (as I know) but does work.
    Otherwise it's a case of keeping at it, but 1 tiny pair of leaves missed will keep it going.

If blanket weed is your problem, then get a bamboo stick, stamp on the end of it just so it breaks the last few inches, insert into pond, and twidle it round 3-4 times, withdraw and push off the collected blanket weed - repeat as needed. And that's what I'm about to do for the next 20 minutes or so :)

If you're going to do some plant pruning and thinning out in your pond, I'd do it sooner rather than later.
    If you do it now, any plants will settle before winter sets in.
    If November is chilly, you will probably already have wildlife hibernating in and around your pond and taking your plants out then would not be good for them.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you Ladybird4 & pete8 good advice it is duck weed thats a problem not blanket weed but good tip with the stick if I get any its good to hear that the duck weed won't harm the pond I thought it was chocking everything as long as the Frogs are happy then so am I thanks again for your time image

imageDuck weed can have a positive effect too. The fact that it shades the pond surface completely means that the water should be nice and clear as no light can get through to the little microscopic flora which make water go green. They can't flourish in low light.

• Wow that sounds like a positive I will look at it in a different light now instead of with exasperation it always looked like it was unloved & when ever anyone came to my garden & looked into my pond I felt like I had neglected it now I can tell them its positives ?

It looks like a perfectly natural pond to me. Yes you can fish out handfuls of duckweed if it gets a bit crowded but there is no need to stress about it at all as it will just grow again and do a good job.

• We had plenty of blanketweed for the last two years which I classed as a nuisance. This year we haven't had any, nor have we had any Damsel flies laying their eggs. I'm sure I've read that they like to lay the eggs on blanketweed. Suppose you can't have it all! We did get frogspawn though?

• It looks like your water forget-me-nots are a bit invasive. I'd pull a bunch out. They can take over a small pond. The rest looks OK.

• Thank you I will look into the forget-me-nots although I cant remember which pot they originate from I dont want to kill it as its my favourite I did feel that it was going a bit mad but wasn't sure how to thin it.

• little bee says:

Thank you I will look into the forget-me-nots although I cant remember which pot they originate from I dont want to kill it as its my favourite I did feel that it was going a bit mad but wasn't sure how to thin it.

See original post

Just pull a bunch out and compost it. As long as you leave some in your pond, it will grow again. It's very vigorous and needs to be thinned every year or it will simply take over. You will find that all the plants share the same root mass, but can be teased apart without too much trouble.