Forum home Fruit & veg

Pumpkin growing..........confused

Hi all

I have three raised beds in my allotment and prepared theg round with manure pror to planting my pumpkin plants.

Being a novice not sure what to do when the plants start growing however was chuffed to bits the other morning when i started clearing som leaves and found an actual pumpkin that had set

Now carefuo watering with comfrey and hope to get one bigger than last yearimage

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,771

Looking good chris!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • I have one pumpkin plant that spreads all over the veg garden with not a single fruit.   At the allotment, however I got one pumpkin per plant.  They are of the same variety and looked after the same way.  Why?

• Divilment hoeglory! image

They like to keep us on our toes.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,667

Nip out the side shoots two leaves after the first flower - that'll concentrate the plant's mind on reproducing - probably a bit late this season tho'.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi all

Well at least it's getting bigger but no champion, however as long as I get a good few harty meals from it that will do me

Will keep all updated on final progress

Happy gardeningimage

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,771

Keep it going 'til 31st October and you will have a great Jack o' Lantern. You'll still get your hearty meals from the pulp.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Hi all

Well back on line now so here's my pumpkin update

27.5lbs no champion but plenty to eat over the winter months ahead. Going to grow (try too) a few more varieties next year at the lottie with an idea of growing vertical so that's one of my challenges to myself.

Any members with any ideas gladly would appreciate any feedback

Happy gardeningimage

• Hi Chris, 

If you are looking for reliable pumpkin varieties, go for either a hubbard type (uchichi kuri is very reliable for me) or buttercups. I've never had any bother growing enough to last throughout the winter here in central Scotland. Another upside is that these aren't huge and so are very easy to store and use as needed.

Cheers

• imageHere's my crop from this year from 6 plants. Enough for about 40 meals for my partner and I, and very easy to grow!

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

They look wonderful Stuart!

Chris: yours did better than mine. Not a single fruit! I'm going to be trying Doves idea of nipping to stop them wandering off and get them to focus on the job in hand.

Like you I want to try vertical next year: do please share if you find some good ideas!