Forum home Fruit & veg

Kale ...........cavolo

Hi all

Although kale is a winter crop i always have some growing in summer and also set off other for win ter crops which will last until April next year.

Such as easy crop to grow but in winter gives off a great return for sunday lucnh and soups.

Its like a cut and come again plant so enjoy, i have this year cavolo nero and curly kale which is ready now and is being collectedimage

Happy gardening

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Chris 172,

Yes it is very easy,i've grown Russian kale as well as cavolo nero.image

• imageimageimage

Hi all

Just getting ready for the winter stuff which will keep the plot busyish with my kale plants.

Taken some already added to soup and Sunday lunch blooming lush

One to try as already mentioned a reletively easy crop to grow with a high return

Happy gardening

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,712

As t'other half points out. Kale grown in the garden is far  more tender than the stuff bought in shops. You can also prepare it properly. The ready chopped stuff has all the thick stem in the middle. I trim all that out, and then steam the green bits.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hi all

well the best winter crop just keeps coming and coming.

I know it's down to taste but either steamed, boiled, stir fried with garlic kale what ever the type this time of year if you grow it cannot be any fresher

Dead easy to grow no pests other than white fly just shake off and will keep growing through the winter and any weather thrown at it

gorg

happy gardeningimage

• That's awesome!  Will be adding it to my list for sure! image

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

I've grown the cavolo and Russian kale. Is easy, didn't get any catapillas this year,which is odd but not complaining.image

• Hi all, I am brand new to vegetable growing, although I have been a gardener for many years. I planted 2 types of winter cabbage and some kale in my 2 small raised beds in mid-late October. The cabbage has grown well, but the kale seems a lot slower. Would someone be able to tell me when the best time to harvest these crops is?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,667

Kale is slow growing and comes to the fore in the 'Hungry Gap' when sprouts and cabbages etc have finished and before the broad beans and summer veg are ready.

Make sure you protect it from the pigeons ... they'll home in on it from miles away when there's nothing much else about.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank, I will. can I harvest the cabbage before that? the green cabbage appears to be developing a heart, but the red cabbage just seems to have only leaves at the moment...?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,667

When a cabbage is ready to harvest depends on several things - the type of cabbage and growing conditions.  You can harvest them when they've got a good firm heart - as you didn't plant them until October they may well not be ready for a good while.  I sow my brassicas in the early spring and have them planted in the garden by the summer. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh