Butterfly ID Please

Hi all    can anyone tell me the name of this pretty brown butterfly photographed today sunning itself on one of my begonias. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058

speckled wood, nice

• Indeed very nice Nut the first time i have seen one Thank you very much for your ID.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058

They are pretty, woodland species I think, it's always amongst trees and shrubs that I see them, never in the open meadow

• I have had more of them this year than before - not even seen a tortoiseshell yet and only one or two peacocks. there are small whites and there were orange tips in the spring.
    The speckled wood follows the woodland edge and as Nut says doesn''t like wideopen spaces. It seems to like the wildflowers best, like knapweed and betony, but comes into the borders for things like scabious and Bowle's Mauve wallflowers.

• Speckled woods are unusual in that they can overwinter as either chrysalis or larva. They also have several generations per year, so they are on the wing constantly from late March right through to October.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004

Lovely pic Flyfifer. I've never seen one, but I had a quick look online and the Wildlife Trust says it's 'increasingly found in Scotland' so perhaps they'll be in my garden one day! 

Few and far between here too B'cupdays, and torties and peacocks are  normally really plentiful here in late summer. Weather has been poor for them - cold and unpleasant for them to be out foraging and feeding. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....