Buying Seed Potatoes

Hi everyone, I want to grow potatoes (for the first time ever) next year and I would really appreciate some help on this: when should I order seed potatoes?

Many, many thanks in advance :)

Loony

• ColinAColinA Posts: 232

Rather than order online I prefer to go to local garden centres and see what I am buying, also in spring Wilko have a good selection of early and late varieties at resonable cost.

ColinA

• Colin is right in a way - shopping in garden centres, DIY places, etc. does give you the chance to see what you are buying.  

The downside is that once in store, they are not always kept in optimum conditions so unless you get in early, the seed pots are often in poor condition.

There are several good reliable suppliers offering an online service.  You can order them Sept/October and they will be sent out to you from December onwards. That way, you can be sure of getting the variety you want at the correct time.  

• Thank you Colin and Philippa! You've both given me 2 pungent ways to go about it :) I'll browse around the garden centres here and then if I don't find what  I'm looking for (I want Charlotte potatoes) then I'll order by next month. 

• Wait till next spring.  There is potato days all over the country.  You get all the varieties and the chance to speak to other potato growers.

• Thank you hoeglory, I will try to find out if there will be a potato day at my local garden centre, sounds like a good chance to learn things about it :)

• Thank you Garrigues, I will check out the link right now  :) 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Why is anybody growing Charlotte?  My local garden shop has 90 varieties!  Charlotte is the most unadventurous choice there is!  Why not try something different. 

If you buy them out of the sack you can buy 1 potato of 6 different varieties, and none of them need be Charlotte.

• Yes Welshonion, ColinA did suggest going to a garden centre, which I will do after Christmas. Can't wait!  :) 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Perhaps I was a bit harsh about Charlotte, but we like to grow a variety different from what is in the supermarket.  It's far more fun!

• I'm so looking forward to growing potatoes this time ! Thank you everyone , for giving me such valuable information  :)