Forum home Garden design

Tree for very large pot

2»

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,156

That's certainly a decent sized pot, but a large tree ie. something tall will still potentially be extremely unstable in high winds.

• What colour and shape is the pot?  What else do you have growing near where you want to put it?  Can you be bothered to water it frequently?

The best thing to do is find a garden centre and pick out one or two that you like and then work out if they're suitable. Obviously we can recommend trees all day long but it can be somewhat futile without more information.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,956

Bob - you're right, we could make suggestions forever -  hopefully the OP will come back and give us more info! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Don't let me stop you, though!  I still like reading the suggestions; the sequoia was particularly inspired.

• Thank you for your comments, we shall do a bit of research on Birches and Japanese Acers which should provide interest all year round so a bit thanks to those who suggested these.

• On a related topic I have a new circular raised bed 4m diameter and 1m depth in front of the house - we want a tree that provides year round interest, some shade to sit under and looks good. Looking at acers, olives etc - but any suggestions from you tree experts? PS live in SW France so winds can be strong and summers hot. Thanks.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Hello Roger, and welcome to the forum image

I recommend that you start a new thread for you tree question, it could be missed by tagging onto the bottom of this one. Simply click on the "start a new thread" box at the top of the page, pick a category (plants), a title, and type your query in the big box below.

It will give everyone a chance to say hello as well image

Last edited: 04 October 2016 10:16:32

• Thanks Kitty  - will do