Forum home Plants

Growing flowers for a wedding on 5 August?!

My fiancee and I are getting married on 5 August 2017 and we're planning to grow our own flowers for the wedding.

We're not all that fussy about varieties, our main concern is just getting the timing right!

We need flowers that will be at their peak on 5 August and that will survive a journey from London to Norfolk, either as cut flowers or in pots, probably 24 hours before the wedding itself.

We also want an option that's fairly safe so that we don't end up with nothing on the day!

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Our personal favourites are Alliums, Peonies, and Tulips but I have no idea if those are plausible options giving the timing!

Very grateful for any advice:)

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 35,821

Hi James. Its the wrong time of year for Alliums,Tulips and Paeonies. Phlox, Agapanthus, Chrysanthemums, Heleniums, Alstromerias, Dahlias, Delphiniums are possibilities.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Hi James

It's worth a go but a risky strategy! As Ladybird has pointed out, lots of your favourites will not be in season although there will be alternatives. You need to do some research on what will be available (L has already mentioned a few) and keep an open mind, as these may not be quite what you have in mind.  Best to research this ASAP as some things (hardy annuals, bulbs, perennials) might need to be planted in the Autumn to give them a good chance - if you buy them later as established plants they will be much more expensive. As well as perennials and possibly some annuals, there might be some shrubs that are still in flower then - possibly philadelphus for example. You should definitely think about growing some good foliage plants as well as flowers. And bear in mind that the weather, pests and diseases etc can scupper even the best laid plans. You will need to grow a lot to ensure that you have enough,and stagger the sowing times of any annuals and bulbs to ensure you have flowers at their peak at the right time . It would definitely help if you can protect some of your  precious plants in a greenhouse. Perhaps you could focus on providing flowers/ foliage for the venue and buy in the flowers that you want for the bouquet? In short, do your research, give it a go but be prepared to make alternative plans nearer the day!

GG

• Do you know anyone in Norfolk that could grow the flowers on your behalf?

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,537

In August ,sweet peas sown in spring should be at their peak, also Ammi visnage and cornflowers  sown in Autumn.

• Very brave lad, James, to even contemplate such a move, Interflora sounds a better option. Flowering plants can be very unpredictable, the number of open gardens we have visited in the past where the owners say " You should have been here last week, it was lovely !! "  Very best of luck.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,750

We got married on Aug 6th 5 years ago and I grew 450 sweet pea plants to guarantee enough for the marquee. I also did little jars with dahlia nuit d'été and variegated hosta leaves. 

Devon.