Forum home Wildlife gardening

Made a Bug Hotel

Hi everyone,

Inspired by some of the other Bug Hotels I have seen in this section I decided to make one for the garden.

I used Clay Wall Cavity Liners, Clay Air Bricks, Canes, Moss and some old timber.

The assembled parts came together as below

Using the Cavity Liners I can add levels if required.

Sheps...image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,204

Wow Sheps thats fantastic. Can you just buy random cavity liners and air bricks or did you just happen to have some lying about after a project?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • That's brilliant Sheps. The ones I've seen look like somebody built them and then bombed them which is ok for gardens like mine but some gardens are a tad tidier. image I like that you can add what Fairygirl calls 'stensions. image

• ShepsSheps Posts: 828

Thanks very much, Ladybird and PP...pleased you like it image

Hi Ladybird...I saw the cavity liners and air bricks whilst walking around that well known DIY store, the one with the letters Q & B in the name, and thought they were just what I needed and like PP says I can add "stensions" as and when I need.

The other reason I went for the clay cavity liners, is that most of the pots in the garden are terracotta and the liners sort of match the colour scheme.

Sheps...image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,318

That's great! Am feeling inspired...

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,204

Totally brilliant. I will visit the famous store on Diamond Geezer Wednesday. Thanks Sheps.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

Thanks hollie hock and LG

No problem, Ladybird...image

Sheps...image

Last edited: 02 September 2016 23:06:43

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 481

Lovely looking bee hotel, Sheps. Love the simple, elegant design. 

• Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,031

Hey, that is real neat Sheps. image

Thanks THH and Daisy...pleased you like it image

Today I added a "stension" using another Clay Cavity Liner and some chopped up timber.

I think this will be as high as I want to go, though what I might do is build another one and place it along side, thus making a big one out of the two structures.

Anyhoo, it should give some shelter to whichever insects want to make it home image

Sheps...image