Help!

Hello everybody. I have been thinking about learning to grow herbs/veg etc. I have a section in my garden which is currently laid with pebbles and a membrane underneath. I was wondering if I could dig it all up and make the soil good, would it be an OK place to plant herbs and small veg. My garden isn't huge and I wanted to keep veg growing seperate from my actual garden. Could this be a good spot if I worked on it??image

Last edited: 30 August 2016 14:29:14

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,673

Hi there. Is it the area beyond the path you are talking about?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • JudojubJudojub Posts: 108

Yes ladybird. Where the various pots are. 

despite the picture. It gets sun up until around 1pm. This was taken later on in the afternoon

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,673

I was going to say that it is a little too shady and despite having sun until 1pm I still don't think that too many herbs would be happy there. Sage, Rosemary and Bay would probably be fine. Leeks, Kale, Rhubarb, Gooseberries and some fruit trees would also be fine in the area.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

'Sigh' OK ladybird  Thank you. Back to the drawing board then!

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Herbs are mainly Mediterranean plants they like well drained not very rich soil and plenty of late sun, mine get sun from noon to late evening. Most Herbs grow well in pots with a mix of loam and grit, move to larger pots as the roots fill the existing pots. Rain is usually all they need though if they dry out water well then leave. cutting the larger herbs back you will get fresh growth coming through.

Why not try some herbs in pots in the position shown if it does not work then move the pots, that way you will find the best position for them without having to prepare the ground each time. Never give up is the gardeners motto so give it a try.

Frank.

Thank you palaisglide. Never thought of that!! Makes sense. I shall look at giving it a go!!