Forum home Wildlife gardening

Reclaimed wood bird feeder

imageimageimageimageimage

Found an old tree someone dumped on field nearby, so dragged it back. Decided to make a wildlife feeder.Very popular with birds, squirrels and even the hedgehog like the long grass.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,398

Absolutely stunning Paula! Your garden is beautiful.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thanks Ladybird4 I do spend a lot of time in the garden. I am always trying to changed things around moving pots etc. Every time I buy something new my husband just rolls his eyes and says " where's that going to go, you have no space left."

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,083

Nice Paula, I like that.

That's given me some inspiration as I'm in the process of removing a number of Sumac tree's and one of them is where I hang several bird feeders. It might well stay - just the one - but not sure yet.

The advantage of hanging them from the tree is the birds get some protection from fly-by attacks by the local birds of prey (we live near a conservation area). So if I do chop the 'feeding station' tree down I'll be looking to replace it with something that might also afford them some security.  

• a1154a1154 Posts: 863

That is lovey! What are the little roofs made from? 

• What a beautiful feeding station!  Totally love it! 

• Thanks a1154,

The bottom of the roof is tongue and groove. The top is ply wood and roof felt.