Forum home Plants

House Plant Recommendation

Hi, 

I need some greenery in my south-facing flat. Ideally something that is fairly rugged as I often work away from home so doesn't require watering or light too much. I'd also prefer something bushy or leafy. Is there even such a house plant?

• There are plenty available but I think you need to define "rugged" re your circumstances.  They will all require light and water - some more, some less. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 28,720

Hi Euro Skank. One house plant that fits your needs exactly is an Aspidistra or Cast Iron plant. It will need watering now and again and a little light but aside from that it is bomb proof.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • philippa smith2 says:

There are plenty available but I think you need to define "rugged" re your circumstances.  They will all require light and water - some more, some less. 

See original post

Hi Philippa and Ladybird,

Thanks for your prompt replies. By "rugged" I mean able to go without water for maybe a couple of weeks and without sunlight for a similar amount of time as I have to close my blinds whilst I am away.  

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 28,720

Definitely Aspidistra. Just give a decent watering before you leave and as long as your blinds are not the blackout variety, move the pot as near to the window as possible - I am assuming from what you said that you don't have a windowsill behind the blind.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • The Aspidistra as Ladybird suggests would certainly be a contender.  The only other one I can think of offhand is the Peace Lilly ( Spathyifyllum sp ? ).

• arneilarneil Posts: 225

The Peace Lily would work , I killed mine by watering it :(

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Peace Lily hates to be in the full light.  It is ideal for a shaded bathroom.  The steamier the better.

• NorwinNorwin Posts: 26

HI Everyone!

Just a question: Is it normal for an amaryllis to be flowering now? I have only ever seen them later on in the year.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 1,996

Hello, Norwin. Is it one you have kept? Amaryllis are 'forced' to flower at Christmas but if you keep them and allow them to flower when it is natural for them to do so, they will flower in summer. They will go on happily for years, the bulb getting bigger and bigger.