Forum home Wildlife gardening

Signs that Autumn is upon us

OK, it's technically late summer but the signs that Autumn, (my favourite season), is on its way can still be seen. I'd love to see your Autumn pics.

Last edited: 29 August 2016 13:33:03

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

yes, it's near autumn out there there;  Cyclamen hederifolium, thinning shade from the trees, berries ripening and brown stalks in the meadow 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,554

I'm still enjoying summer.  Don't want autumnal for a few more weeks yet please.   

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 481

Still summer? My sunflower begs to differ!

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,031

Michaelmas daisies. I don't care if they're poncey one's called asters, I still hate them 

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hi Nut,

I think our meadow is the same size. I keep mine as-is until end Sep, havent the heart to cut it down in Aug as the bees etc seem to love it so much. And then when we cut I'll have to stop to rescue the ladybirds periodically (always annoys hubbie). Do you think it matters waiting another month to cut?

Noticing all, the colder darker evenings/mornings, leaves starting to turn on the birch (in Aug)?? Is it me or does it seem to be turning early this year...?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

We reckon to cut the meadow in bits so there's always something than hasn't been cut lately. If you stand out there and look and listen you know you can't drive an Allen scythe through it all.

The foreground was cut after the buttercups were over and hasn't regrown much due to dry weather.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,295

Definitely has that "back to school" feel out there this morning - heavy dew, bowl full of raspberries and plums and poncey aster Monch flowering like mad (love themimage)

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,031

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

I love asters, I don't care what you call them. Mine aren't out yet. We are having a drought and a heatwave down here, even the nights are hot, so I'm looking forward to those cooler, golden mornings - my favourite time, too.