Tomato hornbeam worm have you seen one?

Thought I would share this with you , will photograph it , try to upload it 

Found a tomato hornbeam worm.

Has anyone else had one ? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

I THOUGHT, I HOPED, THAT THIS WAS ONE AMERICAN DELIGHT THAT HAD YET TO REACH US.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,333

Had to look these up - http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/tomato-hornworms-control.htm

Handsome chaps but not what you want on your toms.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

If I found any i wouldn't want to kill them,i'd put them somewhere else.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

Are you sure it's not one of the other Hawkmoth caterpillars Granma? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

The photos I've seen of tomato hornbeam worms look very much like the lovely

Privet Hawk Moth caterpillars. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,892

I just went to pick tomatoes and found a large moth, with mottled top wings, but flashing a red underwing like a red admiral. I think it is  a red underwing moth Catocala nupta.  very excited. Photos to follow.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,835

To be honest I'm not sure ,but I did some research on caterpillars.   It suggested putting it in a clear container with a little soil at one end .and leaves it was found on or near . Checked photos  and it was the nearest I could find.  I'm trying to get the photo on here .

But will check up the Hawkmoth caterpillar

In the meantime it's a lovely green , about half inch wide two and half inches long . .the markings are white slashes at an angle along it's body it is a sandy brown shade the top of its body .but the luminous green shows through ..it has a black horn  it moves very fast , had to put camera setting on the one for movement 

It's burrying itself in the soil now. 

they like privet and ash best if it is a Privet Hawkmoth. Can you give it some in case it hasn't finished eating yet and not ready to pupate

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

I'd put it back where you found it, or if that's not possible then let it go on a  privet bush or on an area of soft dry shady soil with a good bunch of ash or privet leaves.  They're much better off fending for themselves than they are in our hands - and I'll lay money on it being a Privet Hawk Moth.  

Last edited: 29 August 2016 14:22:51

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

me too. I agree with your suggestion re treatment as well.

we watched one of these emerge from the soil and hang itself out to dry one year, amazing sight