The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Bulb starter worth it?

Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 499

I've used rootgrow on 'expensive' shrubs and perennials as it feels like a sensible outlay versus the cost of the plants.

With the similar 'bulb starter' (or rootgrow itself) do people feel it's worth it purely for bulbs as they (the bulbs) are a lot cheaper so spending on a rootgrow product may not be cost effective?

Or do people find that they significantly improve the flowers than without using anything so may be worth it?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,630

Bulbs come up and they flower, it's all in the bulb already. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 499

Nice quick reply, thanks ?.  Don't think I'll bother and save myself some cash (or spend more on getting more bulbs ?).

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 17,714
    chrissieB says:

That should say only time not inky :)

See original post

I like 'inky' chrissieB

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,177

I try to remember to feed the established bulbs just as they are starting into growth, so about October/November here - just blood fish and bone or growmore and also a feed that I water in for the container pots of bulbs.

• B3B3 Posts: 5,994

Does this mean you can put them in previously used compost if you're not too bothered about keeping them for the next year?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,177

I may be wrong, but I would imagine if you used previously used compost you would need to add some food/nutrients like blood fish and bone or bonemeal or perhaps growmore to the compost and mix it well in..  I try to use fresh compost/garden compost each time I plant or replant anything.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,630

bulbs need feeding in the foliage stage GD which is mostly after flowering.Though with  alliums this is not the case

• B3B3 Posts: 5,994

I'm confused. Can I bung the bulbs in or do I need to add nutrients to the compost?

In London. Keen but lazy.