Bulb starter worth it?

Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 502

I've used rootgrow on 'expensive' shrubs and perennials as it feels like a sensible outlay versus the cost of the plants.

With the similar 'bulb starter' (or rootgrow itself) do people feel it's worth it purely for bulbs as they (the bulbs) are a lot cheaper so spending on a rootgrow product may not be cost effective?

Or do people find that they significantly improve the flowers than without using anything so may be worth it?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,198

Bulbs come up and they flower, it's all in the bulb already. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 502

Nice quick reply, thanks ?.  Don't think I'll bother and save myself some cash (or spend more on getting more bulbs ?).

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 19,991
    chrissieB says:

That should say only time not inky :)

See original post

I like 'inky' chrissieB

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,629

I try to remember to feed the established bulbs just as they are starting into growth, so about October/November here - just blood fish and bone or growmore and also a feed that I water in for the container pots of bulbs.

• B3B3 Posts: 6,913

Does this mean you can put them in previously used compost if you're not too bothered about keeping them for the next year?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,629

I may be wrong, but I would imagine if you used previously used compost you would need to add some food/nutrients like blood fish and bone or bonemeal or perhaps growmore to the compost and mix it well in..  I try to use fresh compost/garden compost each time I plant or replant anything.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,198

bulbs need feeding in the foliage stage GD which is mostly after flowering.Though with  alliums this is not the case

• B3B3 Posts: 6,913

I'm confused. Can I bung the bulbs in or do I need to add nutrients to the compost?

In London. Keen but lazy.