Not had an apple for years!

imageimageimage

Hi all,

I have an apple tree in my back garden, which hasn't produced a single fruit for at least 2 years. I don't know what type of fruit tree it is (cordon etc...), or why it won't fruit. Do i need to prune it? And how do you do it?

Please ignore the weeds, the other side of the garden is better...(!)

Thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,548

OK. HERE IS A CLASSIC APPLE ORCHARD WITH HAPPY APPLE TREES COVERED IN FRUIT.

A CLUE TO ANSWERING YOUR QUESTION. HOW MANY DIFFERENCES CAN YOU SPOT BETWEEN YOUR TREE AND THE ONES IN THIS PHOTO?

WEEDS SMOTHERING THE ROOTS?

A FENCE BLOCKING LIGHT?

OVERHANING TREES BLOCKING SUNLIGHT AND RAIN?

NO VENTILATION?

PRUNING, OR THE LACK OF IT, IS AN ELEMENT BUT THE MAIN PROBLEMS ARE LISTED ABOVE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,343

Does it flower. If it doesn't flower, it needs pruning to shape and the area around it clearing. If it flowers but no fruit, it may need a pollinator.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Weeding around the base, more light into the heart of the tree, and pruning when the tree is dormant but not if the weather is freezing. Pansyface has posted a good picture of how the ideal apple tree should be, but there are lots of sites that explain the mysteries of pruning, feeding and general care of fruit trees. Good luck Sunny 4

• Sonny4Sonny4 Posts: 16

And now I can't remember if it flowers! The base was weeded not too long ago, I will do it again and keep on top of it. I will also trim the surrounding trees to get it more light. And a mulch in spring. I will find some guides pn how to prune too - but I'm always frightened I'll kill the tree!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Thanks Verdun, that's some really practical advice that I have saved. For the moment, I have thoroughly weeded the area, and mulched with compost. I thought in spring, some growmore and bark chippings would work well?

Yes, but there is no fish blood and bone on clearance for £1 at B&Q ;). Also, I forgot to upload a picture-image

Tomorrow, I will cut back the trees, and try and open the tree up to some more light.

Last edited: 31 August 2016 18:34:22

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,343

If it flowers but has no fruit, you need a pollinator. You could do this by grafting on a a suitable bit.  I greatly regret not taking a graft off of an old tree in the Orchard next door. It produced superb apples from a hollow trunked tree on its last legs.We know it was planted pre WW2 The RHS people could not identify it at an apple day at Harlow Carr.  Unfortunately a big storm brought it down and it has now been lost. image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3