Forum home Wildlife gardening

WHERE SHOULD I SITE NEST BOXES?

I have put up nest boxes, but all I got was wasps!

Does it make a difference where you put them?

One was high up on an ivy covered north facing wall.

The other one was on a shady virginia creeper covered shed wall.

Both were tucked away and not very close to disturbance.

There is lots of cover nearby and lots of food and water.

What am I doing wrong?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,205

I HAVE HEARD THAT BLUE TITS LIKE TO SEE THE MORNING SUN, SO MAYBE EAST FACING IS BETTER, IF YOU CAN DO THAT.

ALSO, NOT TOO NEAR A FOOD SOURCE OR TINY NEST BUILDERS MIGHT FEEL THAT THEY COULD BE INCLUDED IN SOMEONE'S DINNER PLANS.

WE HAVE HAD A NEW BOX COLONISED BY WASPS THIS YEAR. JUST WAIT UNTIL THE COLD WEATHER AND THEN CLEAN IT OUT AND HOPE THAT THE WASPS DON'T DECIDE TO BUILD THERE AGAIN.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,040

If they're too high that can be an issue too. Many birds nest surprisingly low down image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,255

Ive had blue tits nest in a nest box on the north facing side of my shed, and blackbirds nest in a box on a south facing wall. Id like to know more about the best orientation/aspect of different birds nesting preferences.

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,305

Advice generally is to leave them in place for two years before moving them. Birds may not take to them in the first year for a number of reasons but if there are no takers after two years or even three, you can assume they are poorly sited. North and east aspects are preferable as  south and west can get too hot, unless shaded. There also needs to be a clear flight line. Very high locations tend not to be good either. Also, what is the wider habitat of where you live? If it is urban there may already be enough nest boxes to cater for the existing tit population.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,181

Helpful info here 

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/helpingbirds/nestboxes/smallbirds/siting.aspx 

We've found bluetits prefer the nestbox to face northeast and be about 6ft from the ground, and has been said, robins like to be in undergrowth, out of the rain and fairly close to the ground - about 3ft up.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Mostly they need to face where they are not in full sun or they get too hot.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

If it's over 6ft then that's when you'll encounter the wasps. 

Last edited: 31 August 2016 10:02:10

• Many thanks for all your help.image

I think my birds are just very spoilt and need telling!

xx

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,121

North facing is good, but the size of the hole is important too, different species need different sizes. work out what birds are most common in your garden  and make the hole the correct size for them. 

Blue Tits - 25mm

Great Tits - 28mm

The RSPB will have a guide and also instructions on making your own nest boxes. We made some and placed them in trees opposite our new house and both boxes have had 2 lots of tits successfully fledge, despite heavy building traffic passing all day long. 

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.