Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Buying a new shredder

I'm looking to buy a new garden shredder (electric). I have an enormous amount of perennial flower beds due to be cut back soon and would ideally like to shred before putting them on the compost heap. I have two Bosch shredders that are just about finished (one blade type and one helix screw type) and neither were particularly fond of soft plant type material. Happy to spend decent money if it gets the job done.

• Should have said I'm looking for recommendations to buy?

• I've tried the lawnmower method but lots of plants are 4/5ft  tall and I don't find that works. Thanks for the input.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I'm also looking for a good shredder, unlike the rubbish one I currently have.

Which? Top Buy is the AXT 25 TC shredder from Bosch (£400).
    Customer reports on the Which site for this shredder are good too.

Also some info here - 

http://www.fredshed.co.uk/boschshredders.htm

Just noticed that the Telegraph also recommend the Bosch

Last edited: 29 August 2016 10:03:26

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

I have a Bosch with the helix and I couldn't live without it.

As Verdun says however it's not good for soft green materials. They simply wrap around the screw. I was attacking a willow recently and even after leaving for a while it still wouldn't go. I wouldn't even consider it for soft green growth like perennials.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

I've got a JCB electric shredder, blade type, and have successfully used it for soft green material as well as woody.  The trick that works for me is to feed through a mixture of green and woody each time.  I'm not saying it never gets clogged but it's rare for me to have to unbung it more than once a day, even when used for extended periods. Unfortunately JCB don't seem to make shredders any more.

The only downside of the one I have is that the outlet is very low to the ground so I have to constantly move the shreddings away from the outlet.  I don't use a collection box on it, I stand it on a tarpaulin then gather up the corners and drag it down to the compost heap.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I have an old Alko, rotary blade type, better for small stuff like perennials,and a Bosch screw type, better for straight stiff stuff like branches and brambles. The Bosch is no good for fine stuff.  They both block at times, I try and run dry stuff through before putting away to clean it out.

On a bad day, with wet fine stuff, I strew it on the lawn and mow it up with a rotary mower.

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

We have a very chunky petrol model which has a slot for branches and a masher for leaves. It was pricey and it is noisy and heavy but it works well. OH says very soft green material can clog up a bit but aged perennials and fallen leaves are fine. It's only worth it if you have a lot of material, I think. He says electric models can't cope with much branch and shrub stuff.