Redesigning

I'm trying to make the garden more rabbit proof. We have gravel around the grass and to start we had a wooden divider which was chewed by the bunnies. We replaced it with metal railings but the rabbits have destroyed those by squeezing through the gaps and they've also gone rusty. My plan is to either have raised bedding (so it protects the fence too Although it is costly) or have lower bedding (which I'm more likely to do as it costs very little). I've pulled up some of the gravel and the sheeting and the soil looks and feel very clay like. Could it possibly be clay or is this because it's been covered for nearly 6 years? My knowledge of gardening is restricted to cutting the lawns!!

• SophmmSophmm Posts: 4

This is what it looks like.... Of course if it's not viable I dont fancy taking up the rest of the gravel but soil would look so much nicer as the rabbits tend to have their "call on nature" on the gravel!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,396

Sorry, I'm a bit confused image  are you trying to keep the rabbits in or out? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Keep rabbits in - I own two but whatever I do to the garden one of them destroys it. I had a knock on the door yesterday from my neighbour saying the rabbit had removed a fence panel (it's been chewed from both sides for a couple of years) and my rabbit had ended up in her garden. I personally think soil around grass looks a lot nicer and neater than the gravel I have at the moment. I don't know if the soil will be viable to use? I don't plan on planting anything until spring.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,842

If it was up to me I would take off the gravel. I would then add a thick mulch of either well rotted horse manure, compost such as home made or spent mushroom compost and pile all that on. As you aren't doing anything until next season the weathering effects of frost etc will help to make the soil more friable (crumbly) and any worms in the soil will pull the mulch down into the soil - again improving it. Clay is an excellent soil to have once it becomes more workable as it is rich in nutrients. It will have been a bit compressed under the gravel so I wouldn't give up on it.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

Thanks. Wish I had this idea at the start of the 6 weeks holidays. If it wasn't for my rabbits i would have a lovely garden but everything has to be planned with them in mind. We're still deciding to have a raised or lowered bed but in my mind having gravel whilst we have rabbits free roaming isn't the most practical. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,752

I think I'd build a run which you can move around. Much cheaper than rabbit proofing an entire garden, and easier to manage.

You'd have to completely rabbit proof the boundary using a sunken barrier of mesh to about 18 - 24 inches. After repairing the damaged fence of course. They'll just dig under it otherwise. 

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again