Gardening bikers?

So are there any other garden loving bikers on here image

My hubby who used to be a motorbike instructor taught me how to ride about 15 years ago and got me through my test.

I have a Z650 custom and a Kawasaki GT750 winter hack.

Haven't quite worked out how to get the plants home from the garden centre though.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

In early days I had a topbox on a Honda 50. But often couldn't get the lid down so had to ride slowly to avoid wind damage to the plants.

You need a side-car.

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Yes I'm 54 but can still ride ok. not reached cut off point yet image But will when the time comes.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I have an oldee stylee 600N. She's a very pretty girl and the only thing in this world that still scares the b'jaysus out of me. image

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,659

yep, shame its been in the work shop being fixed image for nearly a year, peed off is an understatement. Think I need a new ride, I am itching for a R1 but I like the Triumph daytona 675 when its working.

Going garden centre can be a bit of a problem but it stops you spending to much. Nice going out on the bike looking for plants as well doing two thing I like doing. I only have a rucksack to transport plants could do with a sidecar or a trailer image 

An R1 is the most uncomfortable thing I ever sat on. image I had bruises!!!

My brother has a Blade and it's marginally better but the R1 was horrible. I reckon the seat was made of plywood!

My instructor many years ago had several bikes but he always used the Africa twin for teaching. (He was really tall). Didn't have to look to see if he was there...you could hear him.

Last edited: 27 August 2016 13:11:08

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 850

I ride an R1200GSA and I love it. I use it every day, commuting to work regardless of weather. Heres a photo of me at Cadwell..

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

I HAD A MOTORBIKE FROM THE AGE OF 16 UNTIL I WAS SIXTY. THEN I BEGAN TO FEEL THE COLD A LOT MORE AND GAVE UP.

BEING VERY SHORT IN THE LEG DEPARTMENT MEANT THAT I WAS LIMITED IN WHAT I COULD REACH THE GROUND ON WHEN STATIONARY. I ONCE HAD THE VERY EMBARASSING EXPERIENCE OF DRIVING A BMW 650, COMING TO A HALT AT LIGHTS AND FINDING THE CAMBER OF THE ROAD WAS NOT TO MY ADVANTAGE.....

ALSO TINY HANDS MEANT THAT MOST CLUTCH AND BRAKE LEVERS WERE A CHALLENGE.

HAPPY DAYS THOUGH, HAPPY DAYS.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Oh PF I feel your pain. I'm at full stretch on my girl and she's naturally very top heavy. The hours I've spent picking leaves out of places because we've tipped into the bushes outside my own garage! image I'm ashamed to say I now carry a spare clutch lever in the boot.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

P.P. Never heard of a side prop, my BSA, and Norton's had them built in, you reached back with the heel and kicked them down perfect. The first bike came in a box of bits at sixteen, a New Imperial 125 that had raced on the Isle of Man pre-war. Dad said when you have built that you can learn to ride, "On the Farm tracks" "ye Right", he expected it never to go again. Three weeks later they all came running to see what the noise was, one bike running nicely without the silencer. That bike was a flyer but the next bikes were not, BSA H model with girder forks no rear springing, Norton the same, Royal Enfields and after again assembling a box of bits a BMW shaft drive ex German, the MP's watched me pass them on the Canal Road to Faid for a couple of weeks before stopping me and stealing it, well I said they stole it.

After I could afford it there came a series of Feather bed Norton's BSA Gold and Silver Stars, a Triumph that nearly killed me, it had a spring heel and the most unstable bike I ever had, that went for another BSA Twin. Joan said enough we need a car, we could not get three on the bike, so a few as personal transport and always an army bike to run around on, if you have the Rank Flaunt it. My next bike may be a pensioners passion wagon though I cannot see me doing 8 MPH down the High Street on one of those, can you get Go Faster Stripes.

Frank.

That's all she has Frank. No centre stand on her. I "thought" I had it down properly and then I just tootled forward a wee inch... you know the rest.

The last project my dad finished before he was finished (image) was a BSA Bantam for showing. She's a beauty. She's with a family friend now and he wins prizes all over the country with her. She was in a tea chest in the garage for over forty years and the guards hung in the rafters wrapped up in their original brown paper.

When we moved house in the early 70s he had a Rudge Ulster and something else (I'll ask my mum when she comes tomorrow) but the new house had no garage so he had to let them go. With almost his dying breath he was still telling us how much they'd be worth if he still had them!!! He used to read to my mum from MCN about the prices of all the bikes they owned back then. image