Forum home Wildlife gardening

Frog traps

a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 1,033

This might be obvious to others, but when i took out some round fence posts recently, i didnt fill the holes in.  If it was a hazard, it would just be for me, i thought. 

I was surprised to find i had trapped a load of frogs, who were looking bored and hungry at the bottom of the holes.  

My haul was 4 frogs and a lizard.  I apologised and put them to work in a sluggy area. 

Just a note in case anyone else does the same, fill the holes up immediately!

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Frogs always look bored and hungry.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 1,033

Dont think they can jump out of a narrow space, dont have VTOL. I thought the lizard most likely to be able to escape, but he was sort of sat there under 2 big frogs, which cant have been pleasant. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

Think it was probably a newt - lizards like warm dry places image

Frogs are pretty good climbers - they'd have got out if they'd wanted to.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    a1154 says:

Dont think they can jump out of a narrow space, dont have VTOL. I thought the lizard most likely to be able to escape, but he was sort of sat there under 2 big frogs, which cant have been pleasant. 

See original post

Are you sure? image image

Vertical take off and landing. (Harrier jump jet) Tetley.

I like planes. image

My very favourite is the Typhoon image image 

I'm such a girly!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,524

pp I like planes too (RAF brat!) Nothing can beat the Spitfire!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

Pa was from a farming family - he flew in Wellingtons image

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._37_Squadron_RAF 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I was talking to an elderly gent who looked like the kind of dottery old lad you chat to in Painsburys. Exactly what I was doing in fact.

He too had flown Wellingtons and Spitfires and went on to tell me about when he was sent out to the Pacific to fly Corsairs. They were wider and much better for landing on ACCs apparently! image 

Well shame on me! Dottery old lad indeed. I'll never make that mistake again!

• a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 1,033

I do worry about frogs, i do! I still have the holes and am quite prepared to test wether a frog can get out in the interest of wildlife gardening knowledge advancement.  How do you think i can set up this experiment?

never seen a newt round here, but we get common lizards. It is a hot dry bank, not sure why frogs go up there, but the whole garden is a bit of a froggy wonderland.