Shed stain advise please

2»

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 902
    Lou12 says:

Well I am less than impressed with cuprinol garden shades.

I thoroughly cleaned and sanded the whole summerhouse and followed all the instructions to the letter and it has taken no less than 4 coats so far to even begin to cover it.

The wood to start with was a very pale natural wood and I would have thought two coats should have covered that well but I have wasted my entire bank holiday weekend on it and have to do a 5th coat tomorrow to achieve full coverage.

It's thin and weedy even after copious stirring and quite frankly I wish I hadn't started it.

That's one I will not be buying again.

See original post

Sorry to hear of your bad exerience Lou, personally I have found it a great product. I've just finished my summerhouse in exactly the same brand and colour as below: 

You're right about it being thin. I used three coats - some over previously painted and some over 'raw' previously unpainted timber.

Now here is the bad news and something that Cuprinol do not make clear but that is you have to get all coats on in a short period of time, which, in my experience can be as short as 5 hours from the first coat to the very last coat depending on drying conditions. The reason being that the paint produces a 'wax-like' finish which repels the water, unfortunately it will also repel subsequent coats of paint. So in your case you will most likely have to lightly sand down again to get a 'key' for your fifth coat. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm pretty sure you will find this to be the case. 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

The Ducksback is the same Dave. Overcoat within a certain amount of time.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,109

A couple of years ago I bought 2 tins of cuprinol garden furniture stain in oak for my swing bench.

Happily painting away, used up the first tin, opened the second only to find it looked different. Gave it a good stir and did a test patch on a bit of scrap, it still looked very red.

Double checked the labels, yes both oak. Hmmm....Why does one look like mahogany? Took them both back to the shop to prove my point and made them open a new tin in store to check it, that was red as well image

Gave up on the product and got a refund, bought some ronseal for front doors instead. 

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Now here is the bad news and something that Cuprinol do not make clear but that is you have to get all coats on in a short period of time, which, in my experience can be as short as 5 hours from the first coat to the very last coat depending on drying conditions. The reason being that the paint produces a 'wax-like' finish which repels the water, unfortunately it will also repel subsequent coats of paint. So in your case you will most likely have to lightly sand down again to get a 'key' for your fifth coat. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm pretty sure you will find this to be the case. 

See original post
    Yes I noticed that Dave, I thought why is this paint sliding off!!!