Forum home Garden design

What to use to protect the inside of a raised bed (part brick part wood)?

Hi all

I'm in the process of finishing off a triangular raised bed.  Two sides of the triangle are brick, and the remaining side will be thick wood.  

Would it be a good idea to line the inside face of the bricks so that they are not damaged by the soil resting against them?  Or will they be ok left as is?  

The wood will definitely need protecting because we are most likely going to use untreated stuff.  What can I use to protect the wood? I was thinking of using some of the damp proof plastic rolls you can get, or some pond liner, or some other black plastic. Are there any other options? What would be the most effective and the cheapest?  

Many thanks



  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,024

    Can't help with the bricks but would have thought it was more a case of stopping stuff from the bricks leaching into the soil as well as stopping moisture from the soil staining the bricks.

    When we had part of our land levelled and terraced to make veggie and fruit plots we used old railway timbers lined with ordinary black plastic sheeting to protect them from moisture in the soil.   20 years later they are still going strong.

    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
Sign In or Register to comment.