DISCUSS

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,579

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,611

Old does not = poor.

There are plenty of rich and poor old people and plenty of rich and poor younger people.

I see no reason why discounts should be given "by age"

But I see no reason to be a bit rude about it.

Last edited: 25 August 2016 09:29:42

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,579

IN BAKEWELL THERE IS A BLACKBOARD OUTSIDE A PUB WHICH OFFERS "OAP FISH AND CHIPS".

SOMEHOW I'M NOT DRAWN IN TO BUY.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,942

I agree that 'age doesn't equal poor'.  However quite often OAP portions are smaller than the usual ones - I'd quite welcome the opportunity to buy a smaller portion of fish & chips or whatever.  

Some places serve 'children's portions' but won't serve them to adults - think they have 'control issues'. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

totally agree about portion sizes these days. 

Another nasty American import?

Devon.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

I'm not quite at that stage but I know a woman who is.

She has an appetite like a small bird and objects to being set down mighty portions which she knows she'll never finish. She also objects strongly to paying for something she didn't want in the first place. She would order a childrens portion but then she's have to eat fish fingers or chicken nuggets!

In conclusion...leave your old people in the house and feed them mush...sure they have no teeth anyway.

There is no short cut to experience. They'll be old soon enough and they will be sitting in Hell in a handcart. What goes around, comes around. image

Snap Dove. image

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 14,747

We were able to order small portions when out for lunch yesterday which is a much better idea.

SW Scotland
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,579

ON THE RARE OCCASIONS THAT MR MUSCLE AND I GO OUT TO DINE IT IS ALWAYS TO A PUB. NO TITTERING AT THE BACK.

WE ALWAYS ORDER ONE SANDWICH AND ASK FOR TWO PLATES. WE DEFY THE BAR KEEPER TO SAY ANYTHING.

WHEN THE "SANDWICH" ARRIVES IT IS ALWAYS ATTENDED BY A SALAD, THE CONTENTS OF A PACKET OF CRISPS AND, ONCE, A BOWL OF CHIPS.

AND THEY WONDER WHY WE ARE ALL PUTTING ON THE POUNDS.

I SUPPOSE EATING HOUSES HAVE A LIMITED TIMEFRAME EACH DAY IN WHICH TO MAKE PROPER MONEY. IF THEY LOWERED THE PRICE AND GAVE US SMALLER PORTIONS THEY WOULDN'T MAKE ENOUGH TO PAY THE POT WASHER. SO THEY HAVE TO GIVE US A LOT IN ORDER TO JUSTIFY THE PRICE, IN ORDER TO PAY THE STAFF.

MAYBE.

Law of diminishing returns PF.

My mum and I would have gone out two or three times a week while she's here on hols but since her appetite has shrunk, so has the number of meals out. We went out twice last time she was here for three weeks (and I suspect/know that was for my benefit and not hers).

It's such a shame because she loves out and about and meeting up with everyone.

Many older people I know, and those with small appetites, feel intimidated by the size of portions and hate waste, so don't want to eat out.

Devon.