My Rhubarb Died :-(

Hi all, I made a visit to my new allotment today - must admit I haven't been for 5 or 6 days... due to the rain image But was very saddened my 1 tall rhubarb stick had died image It had broken and the leaf was all brown/orange..

There are other stalks growing but these are only a couple of inch tall due to being suffocated by weeds till I managed to get in there with some sheers!

It's newly owned so I don't know how long the plant has been there but they're growing on a kinda really hard, dark patch.

Any ideas on digging this up so I can bring it home for better care (and hopefully a rhubarb crumble image) next year?

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

Autumn: When the leaves die back naturally, simply cut back the old rhubarb stalks to leave the buds exposed to cold winter weather. Apply a mulch of well rotted manure around the crown of the plant. This will help to conserve moisture in the soil and keep the weeds down, as well as feeding the plants for the following growing season. Take care not to cover the crown as this may cause it to rot.

I got this from the T&M website. Might it just be going over? image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,295

I agree with Plantpauper - it's 'going over' for the winter.

If the ground is dry give it a bucket full of water, let is soak in then use a handfork to clear the weeds (roots and all) around it for at least a diameter of a metre and mulch it well as described above.  Mulch again in the spring - the worms will take the organic matter down into the soil and improve it for you.  

If the rhubarb has been a bit sparse this year I'd not take a crop from it next year, but give it lots of mulch/manure and make sure it gets plenty of water in dry spells in the summer.  

Rhubarb is tough as old boots - it comes from Siberia.  The most usual cause of it's demise is being over-picked and not allowed to recover. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh