Forum home Fruit & veg

Fruit Trees from seed (of the more exotic form)

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

have you tried germinating a pomegrnate seed? Might succeed in a sheltered garden in London.

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Ladybird, how big do the calamondin trees get? And can you overwinter them in a heated room (as opposed to a cool conservatory, which I don't have)?

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126

We've germinated mango, date and citrus seeds. None of the plants lasted long in this climate though the citrus grew quite big in the bathroom.......unfortunately they had spines on them that could skewer a small dog so the plants had to go.

• hoegloryhoeglory Posts: 69

I am trying to grow guava.  Still waiting for them to emerge. However I got a honey dew melon and water melon the size of my fist growing in my cold frame, both  from the seeds of  Tesco's melons!

• There is an RHS book about getting plants from pips but the internet seems to have more detailed information.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,861

I had an avocado stone germinate in the compost heap. I potted it up. I've no idea what I'm going to do with it. image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • hoegloryhoeglory Posts: 69

I recently read an article in the telegraph about a guy growing fruits and spices for thai restaurants in London from his green house in Dorset, including papaya and green mangoes.  All is possible if you are prepared to put in hard work, enormous amount of it!

• Hi there, I live in the northwest  of the UK and I have a grafted mango tree indoors, I also have germinated cinnamon seeds. I have turmeric and ginger from store bought roots growing indoors. If you don't have a greenhouse but do have sunny window sills you could try growing all sorts of tropicals. Chillis are the easiest to grow from harvesting the seed from shop bought and growing them on your windowsill.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,883

I hav a mango tree germinated from supermarket fruit, it sprung up extremely quickly. No hope of fruits but the leaves are nice.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532

What you need is "The Pip Book" by Keith Mossman. My copy is 40 years old, you might be able to find it on Amazon. It's a small paperback.