Forum home The potting shed

When you know you've bought the wrong one

B3B3 Posts: 12,481

When i found myself sweeping 

the carpet with  a dustpan and brush rather than hauling out the newish vacuum cleaner. ( well I had to give it a chance.

It would suck the nails out of the floorboards, but wouldn't pick up a bit of thread, weighed a ton . I could go on....and on.....

Replaced it today. Anyone want a c##p nearly new vacuum cleaner?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,348

Gave the almost brand new all singing all dancing Dyson to Wonky 'cos I was fed up with it and her Lovely Hub liked the tech look of the Dyson.  

We bought an ordinary Panasonic like we used to have to replace the Dyson and I love it.

A few months later and Wonky bought a Henry to replace the Dyson ... don't know who she gave the Dyson to. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 12,481

I've jut gone back to Dyson. Can't believe how much better the carpets look.

I think Dyson is a bit of a marmite productimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

My mum hates hers. It weighs more than she does! 

The trouble with things like that...beds is another example...is that once you've used it, it's too late! You're stuck with it even if it's awful.

Last edited: 23 August 2016 16:12:38

• My godmother just used club card vouchers to buy one of those fancy new cordless dysons you can do almost anything with. It's awesome! Turns so easily, ridiculously light, and not noisy. Makes me regret our newish vax...

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,933

OH loves his Dyson so he gets to do the vaccing now as I hate it.  Picks up OK if it's empty but blocks easily and is a pig to empty and a pig to store cos of its stupid shape and stupid parking for the handle and hose.

I have a robot on my wish list for downstairs - 2 dogs and an OH shipping in muck - and will keep our old Miele for upstairs.  He can have his Dyson for cleaning the cars.

Last edited: 23 August 2016 17:27:27

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Doghouse - Lantana is referring not to the power cords, but the hose. Vax have the silly system of  hose that is detachable from the 'mouth' of the hoover. In order to use, say a pet attachment or upholstery brush, you have to disconnect the main hose. And if thats not enough, the main hose is attached to the hoover so it cant be raised above a certain point, so you also have to attach an extension hose for any sort of flexibility! It drives me bonkers. 

I'm hoping it breaks sometime soon and we can get a cordless dyson. I really was thoroughly impressed by it

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

My hubby bought our last dyson, the one with the ball.But the hose doesn't reach the top of the stairs because it was on offer,so the last 3 stairs don't get vacuumed all the time because it's too heavy for me to take upstairs.But I do have a older one upstairs but I can't be bothered.image

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

I have three priorities when choosing a new vacuum.

1: Length of power cable. Can I do the whole of the downstairs without unplugging it? (Quite easy, I have a small house)

2: Length of hose. Can it reach to the top of the stairs without having to balance it halfway up? (Quite easy, I have a small staircase)

3: How heavy is it to lug upstairs? And can I actually gain access to the carpet in the teenagers bedrooms? (Not so easy, I have 2 of them +1) image

All this high-tech vacuum talk reminds me that they've come a long way since the days of my mum's 2nd hand refurbished green & cream hoover constellation I remember from my childhood.

Like a ewbank carpet sweeper Doghouse? 

I did a quick google of ewbank to ckeck my spelling before I posted and spotted that it was founded in Accrington, Lancs. The name probably became synonymous with carpet sweepers in the same way that "Hoover" did with vacuum cleaners.

The Bissell carpet cleaners are very good, my mum has one which I borrow on occasion (saves me having to fork out ££££ for one) image