whaite rust on brassicas

how do I treat/get rid of white rust on my curly kale? I garden organically so do not want to use chemicals unless I have to.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,794

Hi leila. Do you think it could be powdery mildew rather thn rust? If so, there is no control. You need to remove all infected stems and destroy them and collect up all fallen leaves to prevent the spread of the fungal spores that spread it. Mulching and watering helps to avoid water stress in the plants and helps them to be less affected by mildew.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thanks Ladybird4. I have looked up the disfiguation on the leaves and it is albugo candida (I think I have it correct). The top surface of the leaves go yellow in patches and underneath there is a thick white scab. It is a nuisance as it affects my brassicas most years. It started on Honesty plants some years ago. Any ideas would be welcome. Many thanks

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,794

Hi leila.

Unfortunately the treatment for this blister rust is the same as for powdery mildew. There are no treatments for it. All affected plant parts should be removed and destroyed. Crop rotation can reduce reoccurrence.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable