Forum home Plants

Sempervivum

We could hardly believe the size of this Sempervivum seen growing on a hedge - there were a few dozen of them but this was one of the largest. Do they flower, or is the rosette the flower?image

Last edited: 22 August 2016 20:18:21

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,556

I might well be wrong, again, but isn't that a green aeonium?

Devon.
  • It looks like an Aeonium - related to Semps, but they are bigger, and the rosettes grow on stalks.

• You may be right Hostafan and Alan - in which case apologies. Do aeonium normally grow to this larger than my hand size and is the plant in this picture an aeonium too?image

Last edited: 22 August 2016 20:37:48

• That is another Aeonium of some sort. Rosettes can grow to at least 5 inches.

• Oh goodness I thought we had found a monster Alan - it must have measured approx. 5 inches across.  It seemed odd to find them growing in a hedge. Do you grow a lot of these strange looking plants.  We were given a cutting from the trough in the picture above and it is doing well in a little pot, they seem to grow fairly quickly.

• I only have one, Aeonium 'Kiwi'. It is slightly tender so I keep it in my greenhouse in winter. It is quite slow growing.

http://www.hotplants.co.uk/view-product/Aeonium-Kiwi 

• From the Canary Islands where it is far warmer than here, but most people grow their Aeoniums outside here all the same. Thanks for sharing your knowledge Alan.

Last edited: 22 August 2016 23:00:57

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 45,998

I love the black one 'Schwartzkopf', but there's no chance of growing them here except indoors for most of the year though.

I'd love to have some in the garden but I'd need to build a conservatory for them to live the other nine months of the year! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I grew mainly cactus for years and years and although they could have been put outside in the summer, they stayed in the conservatory all year - we had to remove some pains of glass from the roof to prevent stunting their growth. I no longer have them - I just kept a few Agave which can stay in the garden all year and flower once in about 30 years, then die..

• Cactus are fascinating plants and although I no longer grow them I still love them. However now I have this Aeoniam which I am growing on in the cold GH until next Spring/summer when I will put it in a special (undecided as yet) place - but not growing in a hedge! I think you have got the perfect set-up for your cactus Philippa, they obviously like being outside during the summer. I haven't forgotten your seeds.