Forum home Garden design

Gravel Patio query

2»

• I'm loving all the photos; great spaces

• Thanks for the images Dave, they look really good and agree in that our projects are quite similar.

What was your main challenge with yours may I ask?

Thanks for your input everyone, you have saved me a LOT of money image

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,054

Main challenges for me were logistical I guess Chris:

- the digging!

- finding somwehere to relocate the dug soil to - we now have bigger beds 

- sourcing and installing the railway sleepers at the base of the bank

- finding a home for the leftover gravel. If you're buying in 1 tonne bags the multiples probably won't work out 'right

- laying the 3 pavers on very thick beds of mortar - I should have gone with a stiffer mix and/or added some ballast bit didn't have any to hand. The largest paver in particular, being heavy, was pushing the mortar out.

So no big issues as such. As I say, due to the depth of gravel I have it's really not ideal (reminds me of my pre-season football days when we had to run on the shingle beach!). So, if you're going to be using your area a lot I would make sure you get this aspect right. We don't use this side pathway a great deal so it's not a massive issue for us. 

Just looking at your pic again it looks like on one span of the feather-edge fence there is no gravel board so you might want to look at that. You could do with a nice 'solid' edge as you have in the other areas. 

Good luck. 

• So you'll be pleased to know (well I am anyway) that my little patch of ground is now gravelled.

It took about 3 days in total but I am happy with it now.

I'll whack a photo on later tonight and see what you all think...

Now I just need to bring the rest of the garden back to life again, this summer has almost killed the grass...

Thanks all for the advice, especially Dave, Tetley, Lantana and FairyGirl image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,344

That's great Chris. Looking forward to your pic later. image

The grass will come back to life as soon as you get a bit of rain. Can you please send us some of the dry stuff as we've had enough rain for our lovely green grass....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hopefully you can all see the picture below but there is the finish product.

Now all that is left is the back of the garden itself image

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,054

Nice one Chris. Now the hard-landscaping is done you can get on with the more enjoyable task of adding plants etc.

• Hi,

Just wanted to let you guys know that we have recently put together a handy gravel calculator that can make projects like this super easy to calculate. 

You can check it out here: http://mainlandaggregates.co.uk/gravel-calculator 

I hope you guys find it useful! :)