Forum home Garden design

Amateur looking for help: Green house base woes

Hello

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could give me some advice! I'm just building a small greenhouse in my garden (6x4) and looking to site it beside a fence where the paving slabs are very much on a slope.

I'm looking to base the greenhouse on some sleepers, but am really unsure as to the best way to do this... My options seem to be...

a) Lift the slabs, and 'level' the ground somehow, then put the sleepers on top of the level ground.

b) Find some way to get the sleepers level (by playing about with bricks and stones until they're the right height) then concrete underneath them so that they're steady? I know how it's shown in the picture is not the way to do it, that's just laid out so I can check the crude measurements).

I'm sure to someone more experienced there's a really obvious solution! Many thanks in advance.

Last edited: 21 August 2016 16:24:14

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 31,113

Hi boogaloo. Is there any particular reason you wish to put the greenhouse on sleepers? If you put it flush to the fence as in the picture, you won't be able to get round to clean the glass or to maintain the fence.

Last edited: 21 August 2016 16:59:35

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

Tee hee Philippa. we sound like a couple of echoes at the start of our posts!

• Hi folks. Thanks for the replies!

Yes the idea behind the sleepers was indeed to get more height. The greenhouse has an integral base. If I was mounting direct to the slabs would I not have the same problem, though, as the slabs are on such a slope?

Last edited: 21 August 2016 17:28:27

Well either way you are going to have to level the flags - and think about access. Levelling the flags may seem a daunting prospect but I think it will be easier than trying to 'chock' up the sleepers with stones etc.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,340

I'd be inclined to rip up the slabs, level the ground, and sink your sleepers into the ground.  We didn't have any slabs to rip up, but did have to level and then sink our sleepers into the ground.  We left a section of ground in the middle of the greenhouse, and paved it.  That has left us with two internal sunken beds in the greenhouse, in which we grow tomatoes.  Not sure if this will help you or not.  Agree with Ladybird, I would not position it right against the fence.  Cleaning, or repairing broken panes would be impossible.

• What an awesomely helpful bunch you all are! Have rarely seen so many helpful, informative and illustrated responses. Hugely grateful.

Thanks to you all I'm working on a change of plan and have lifted the flags. I'm now considering the approach mentioned by KeenOnGreen and digging in the sleepers a little. So glad I asked for the advice from this group before charging ahead.

KoG - did you just dig down, level it then fill in the earth around the sleepers? In this position there's actually enough space for me to walk behind the greenhouse (only just though!)

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Blimey you don't hang about! image 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,340

We dug down to the depth of the sleepers and put a trench on the outside of the sleepers, which we filled with gravel. That's only because the terrace where it is located gets waterlogged in winter. If you don't want sunken planting beds inside the greenhouse you could just level and pave it. Better still might be to level it with soil inside, put down a membrane and cover it with gravel. That way you will have a porous surface which will help with drainage and humidity.