Garden visitor

Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,564

Can anyone help me to identify this beautiful moth that visited my garden recently?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,110

One of the Carpet Moths?  Not sure which ... possibly the Galium Carpet?  

http://butterfly-conservation.org/51/1/identify-a-moth.html 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,882

I think it's one of the carpets. ?Netted maybe. Not sure, I don't think we've had that one in the trap.

They're not called carpet moths because they eat carpets Ladybird, that sort are something different altogether

Last edited: 20 August 2016 14:59:54

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,110

Glad I was on the right track image   All the Carpet Moths are incredibly beautiful aren't they?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I think it is a Galium Carpet - it seems to be rather variable, but Google gives some close matches.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,564

Thank you so much Dove, nutcutlet and Alan. It was so beautiful I had to take a picture as I had never seen one like that before. Eeek, I've just looked up Galium and one of that plant family is the wretched Goosegrass or Cleavers. I wonder if that is what the moth caterpillars feed on? If so they'll have a field day in my garden!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,882

Food plant is Bedstraws, related to goosegrass, maybe they'd eat some of that as wellimage

Having further researched after your assistance in pointing me in the right direction, it might be the Broken Barred Carpet. Please take a look and see if you all agree

• It is similar to the Broken Barred, but according to my book it only flies in May and June, which seems to rule it out. The Galium has a second brood in August.

I did actually photograph this in June and only just got it put onto my laptop. whatever it is I'm glad to have found it in the garden image