Forum home Plants

Pennisetum setaceum rubrum hardiness?

Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 512

Saw this amazing grass in Homebase of all places today and nearly bought a few, it impressed me so much.  Then I thought it would probably not be too hardy or I'd see it everywhere.  

On the knoll gardens website it seems that's the case, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone had experience of it surviving a British winter (ok maybe not Verdun as I'm sure everything survives in your garden! ????).

If not then any ideas how quickly it grows from seed (I've got to get some next year!!!).

• ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 367

I'm surprised they are on sale this late in the summer, you wouldn't get much Autumn and winter colour from them considering how much they probably cost.  I love them but like to buy in May or early July to get my money's worth !  I've never managed to keep them overwinter, even in my south facing, sheltered east Anglian garden.

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 512

I think I might be splashing out on one or two as they are amazing.  If going into pots what's the best soil for it so I can just try to overwinter as a whole?  John Innes 2?  Or maybe just mpc?

Cheers V.  I'll try to keep it/them alive but the gamble is worth the risk :-)

Couldn't resist ?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,952

Very Nice. image

Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through