Do you know this weed?!

Hi

I went on holiday for a few weeks and came back to my garden having a few weeds popping up. They gave quite woody roots that travel horizontally under the grass. Please see the pics and I would appreciate someone telling me what this is! imageimage

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,799

Look like Willow saplings to me.

Ah, but I was so much older then
    I'm younger than that now
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 18,491

Look like the Flowering Cherry suckers that have suddenly appeared in my garden - several years after having the tree removed!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,915

Tree suckers whatever they are

more likely cherry than willow because that's what cherry does, but not sure it is. A plum of some sort?

Are there any trees about that might be responsible LG? It might be some distance away (or even not there anymore)

• cornellycornelly Posts: 398

Amelanchia, we have them springing up adjacent to our Amelanchia tree.

• Thanks all! Amazed to have so many responses so quickly! I always worry about Japanese knotweed so glad to have the quick response! Yes we had a plum tree in the garden and removed it as it was sick. Don't think there's ever been cherry trees here. Took the back of a crowbar to rip up the roots! 

That's the one.image

Leaves do not look right for Amelanchier. Amelanchier leaves are not as 'coarse' as these.

It's plum, The OP had a plum tree.

Definitely got to be the old plum tree. I'm going to have to deal with my random Cherry suckers - when it stops raining! Grrrr.

• Oh good luck and thanks for all the help and time. Really appreciated! Enjoy the crowbar work!