Forum home Garden design

hedge

hi all,can any one help? i'm looking at planting a hedge of some sort to cover gravel board wall. I only want it to grow up-to about 7ft. i'm looking for something that's easy and doesn't need trimming every year to keep it down, anyone any ideas?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,624

valc, you're asking for a plant to grow to 7ft then stop? good luck.

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

a fence painted green?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,624

plastic ivy?

Devon.

sorry for flippancy valc but plants don't work like that.

I don't think there's anything that would grow to 7 foot then stop. 

• valcvalc Posts: 5

thought i might be asking too much lol thanks 

Yeah, Nice idea thoughimage

just thinking what about conifer trees? do they all grow enormous?? its a very long wall i'm trying to hide, i just don't want to go high because of the neighbours

any conifer that grows to 7 ft will (very) shortly be 17 ft and then 70.

You could put Ivy up it, or just grow more manageable flowering shrubs in front of it

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

http://www.mailgardenshop.co.uk/juniper-skyrocket-0001817c

I'm not advertising, but would something like this work? The eventual height is about 10ft but if you weren't bothered about the shape you could chop the tops off. image

Or there's trellis and clematis. Montana doesn't need much looking after, just a hair cut now and again, but it would depend on your aspect.

thanks for the info, i've got to be careful as there's a lot of children that come here so have got to make sure nothing poisonous, someone told me clematis is a bit dodgy thats why we thought maybe conifers, the wall is a bout 180 ft long,so i would need  a lot of the juniper-skyrockets. seems painting it green isn't such a bad idea after all lol