Forum home Problem solving

Removal Of Ivy On Asbestos Garage Roof

My mother has an old garage that I think has an asbestos roof and the whole of the garage roof is covered in really high thick ivy. Such to the state now that the ivy is growing over the sides of the garage roof and now onto the fencing at the back of the garage. I don't even know where to start, should I get the proffesionals in or can I do this myself? I want all of the ivy killed and gone for good. Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,334

when you pull the ivy off, you'll disturb the asbestos. Deffo get the pros in. 

A friend of mine died of mesothelioma last year. It's not worth the risk. 

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,878

worth checking re asbestos. I know someone who had a cellar lined with what he thought was asbestos. Lots of time, £s and professionals later it was found not to be asbestos.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587

Cut all the ivy stems as close to their base as possible then leave a few weeks to wilt, after which they'll be easier to pull off in bits, as and when you have time.    This will also give time for insects and other invertebrates living in it the chance to decamp.

It will be dusty anyway so make sure you wear a mask and gloves.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587

That's a good idea Tetley.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,315

I'm with Tetley.  Mature Ivy like this is brilliant for wildlife.  It flowers late and the pollinating insects can use it when there isn't much available  and the fruits mature about February, when there isn't much left for the birds.  All the thrushes, including my namesake, love them in the winter and saves many from starvation. If it were mine and I really thought it was too much, I would trim it a side at a time so there was always some for the birds.  Do one side this year, and one the next and so on.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • tom9760tom9760 Posts: 44

i used to strip asbestos in power station etc and have done numerous courses on the subject,the asbestos sheeting on garages etc has very little actual asbestos in them as it is only used as a binding agent so the use of a decent dust mask should suffice and damping down first should also be done

• miguelgarbuttmiguelgarbutt CanadaPosts: 1
    Yes. It was a good idea! Thanks
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    I was a building surveyor for 20 years and corrugated asbestos roof sheets are of a low asbestos rating. In the buuilding industry asbestos is designated as Blue, White and Brown, blue being the less risk and brown being the highest risk. All asbestos, what ever the rating is a high risks to health if it is disturbed as minute dust particles are released in to the atmosphere and if breathed in, there is a high risk of your lungs being affected. It's would be more practical to cut all the ivy off at the roots and apply weed killer and then the ivy will die off and should be able to be removed safely 
    Wetting down the asbestos prior to removal of the live ivy would not be a safe practice and would not be condoned by any Health and Safety Executive 
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    Apologies, blue brown and white asbestos are graded as blue being the highest risk and white being the lowest risk. 
    12 years out of the trade so forgetfulness was a problem 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,547

Cut it off at the roots if you can get at them, if not, you'll have to spray with a tough weedkiller such as Brushwood Killer if you can still get it (it may take 2 03 3 goes). If that's now unavailable, you will just have to keep cutting it back. If you can't reach even with a ladder, then call a professional in.

I'm all for thinking of wildlife, but only when their habitat does not become a problem. Left unchecked, the garage will completely disappear under the ivy and so will the fence.