Is gardening good for the soul?

13»

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,651

That's the answer, Lou. Having something that you enjoy and the opportunity to do it. That's what is good for whatever we mean by soul. I can't say whether there are positive microbes in soil - or engine oil come to that -  but the chance in life to pursue an activity that absorbs and rewards you is a big part of a happy life. 

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206

Ive just shown a 6 year old girl ( with her Mum in attendance )  the difference between a brandling worm and the normal ones and how one goes up and down and one goes sideways and what is in horse manure and where slugs live and etc etc !!

The look of wonder on her face was very pleasing for me and it maybe that that has a lasting affect (effect ? ) on her future

Anyone of us could have had that F2F so Im not boasting

She now knows that not all vegetables are grown in supermarkets

I hated gardening until I retired and thankfully make different mistakes every year.

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

A big yes from me. I don't know how to explain it, its just enjoyable. Watching your plants grow and flower. Enjoyng your special favourite short lasting ones as they come up each year. My snakes head fritillary are one of those "specials."

I was very happy this afternoon with my ball of green garden twine tying in plants and dead heading. Easily pleased me! 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Seeing my first trombocino and roasting it for dinner made me happy today :-) 

• JudojubJudojub Posts: 108

My husbands place is in the kitchen (simply because I am an awful cook and he isn't) and the garden is all mine. It is my retreat. Being somebody who is in and out of melancholy, the garden is a real godsend for me.

Nothing gives me greater pleasure(aside from hubby and children) than to shuffle along on my bum with a little trowel lifting weeds and turning soil! Seeing a garden in full bloom during summer months lifts my spirits and aspiring to have a garden like that of my own would see me at complete peace. Sounds dramatic I know but it has been a greater therapy for me than any GP or pill.

Last edited: 22 August 2016 19:51:30

• I'm the same Judojub - the garden is definitely my retreat and the shed is known as 'Mummy's shed'!