Forum home Plants

What are you most proud of/pleased with?

Tray14Tray14 Posts: 210

For me - I made compost for the first time this year and it looks fab!!! 

The plants I picked up for a bargain at poorly plants section for a song - all have done well - Spruce, margaruites and hellebores.

The new boarder  I put in - check me out - I may make a gardener yet ! 

• Anna33Anna33 Posts: 310

That I've been able to completely transform our garden in about 18m to something that looks like it's always been there. When we moved in we had a small rectangle of lawn - if you can even call it lawn, given it was pretty much a weed patch - edged by thin borders abandoned long ago.

18m later, lots of work and LOTS of love, I've now got two wide-ish beds full of plants, with a path in between (the "lawn" was the first thing to go), and have had so much wildlife for the short time it had been there. All this on a small 5mx5m patch - tiny by some standards, but is a fairly standard suburban back garden round here.

I love it, it makes me so happy, and the best thing is, is that it's still a work in progress. I suspect it might always be....

Last edited: 19 August 2016 09:43:44

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,053

tsk, my posting has gone.

Welcome to the wonderful world of compost making Tray 14.

This week I've filled up 12 builders' dumpy sacks with layers of grass clippings and oak chippings from the tree surgeon.

I've also been clearing bullrush from  the lake with gay abandon so the proper compost bins need turning too. I'm emptying the last of last years compost into the beds in the tunnel.

Devon.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Where did it go? I read it and looked at the mulching thread from a couple of days ago (it could do with your expertise) and when I came back there it wasn't! image How very odd.

I've found it. There're two of this thread. Sake!

Last edited: 19 August 2016 09:58:06

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 13,743

I am over run with bulrushes Hosta, how do you get them out, roots and all. Can you still get Napalm?

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 83,979

Yes, where did that go Hosta?   I clicked on it and it disappeared - t'wasn't me Guv! image

Glad you're playing in the lake with gay abandon - never too late image  

Our new compost area is filling up nicely - I've a feeling that the gone over Cerinthes will shed their seeds in there - we'll probably have cerinthes all over the veg patch in a year's time image  I do like making compost image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

punkdoc, I get the waders on and just get in there and yank them out, they come out pretty clean with roots and all. I don't mind some n the banks but they encroach out into the water.

Devon.
  • NoraWNoraW Posts: 393

Copied and pasted from duplicate thread (now locked):

--------------

karen paul

Today at 09:08

The fact that my bricklaying skills have held up to the task of keeping the pond water in! I was nervous for at least a week that it would give way, lol. It wasn't the neatest job but I was using broken paving as an outer wall anyway so I wouldn't see red brick. Well done with your compost Tray14, mine seems to take forever to rot down, too many twigs I think, but its what I seem to have an abundance to get rid of. Could do with a chipping machine :/

--------------

Hostafan1

Today at 09:23

Welcome to the world of compost making Tray 14.

This week I've filled 12 builders dumpy sacks with grass clippings/ oak chippings ( from tree surgeon ) and I've started pulling bullrush from the lake with gay abandon so the proper compost bins need turning . 

I'm clearing the last of last years into beds  in polytunnel. 

--------------

Thanks Nora, thought I'd lost the plot earlier. 

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 83,979

Hosta - how deep is your lake?  It looks pretty deep to me image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.