Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wild flower seeds

Hi  if anyone can give advice on planting wild flower seed mixed with grass seed would this work if put together. I have a Boarder which is not the nice part of my garden I'm trying to make this part look nice and I'm not sure if this would work . There are trees next door which over hang into my garden .This is not A Problem as the birds can have cover . I need some ideas please.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,509

Hi Lynda. You can actually buy a grass and wild flower seed mix. Here is a link for you:

https://www.thegrassseedstore.co.uk/product-category/environmental/wildflower-meadow-seed/?gclid=CJbHiL3dy84CFVQo0wodcJ4BWw

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

The part of garden that needs help is the bit behind the wheelbarrow.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,509

I do think that will be a bit too shaded for either grass or wild flowers though, having seen your picture. There are hundreds of beautiful shade loving plants which would give you a nice show throughout the year. Hardy geraniums - especially the phaeum family, Ajugas, Brunneras, lots of lovely ferns etc.etc.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

There are hundreds of wildflowers that grow in shade, but not the type that grow in grass meadows or the bright coloured annual mixes.

Grass generally doesn't do well in full shade though a few species will. Not wild in this country but Millium effusum 'Aureum' will brighten up a dark corner and Anemathele lessoniana does well in shade. Both easy from seed.

Primroses, foxgloves and red campion do well, Greater and Lesser Celandine at different times of year. Nettle leaved Bellflower, later flowering than most shade plants. Snowdrops, they grow wild here, good for very early flowers. 

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

for a start I never sow grass in a wildflower meadow, it gets their on its own and that time allows the plants to get nice and strong (20+ years in conservation taught me that)

don't go for an annual mix in that area, its far too shady, perennials like Nut mentioned are great and you can get a nice succession of flowers from that mix, plus you can add in non-native species to give extra colour at differing times like hellebores etc.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

I think I'd want to add some hardy cyclamen to that

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 481

Agree with tree hugger about the grass. You may even want to sow some yellow rattle to keep the grasses at bay and let the flowers establish.