Forum home Wildlife gardening

Butterflies and Ladybirds

We live over in Oxfordshire and every year plant organically to attract our wildlife but this year we have only seen 4 dancing cabbage whites and no others??

100s bees all types maybe it was the wet early season? image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,254

I AM LUCKY TO LIVE IN A NATIONAL PARK WITH MOSTLY SHEEP FOR NEIGHBOURS SO NO SPRAYING OF CROPS OR GARDENS NEARBY AND LOTS OF WEEDY BITS.

NO REDUCTION IN BEES, WASPS, BUTTERFLIES, MOTHS OR LADYBIRDS SO FAR AS I CAN TELL.

BUTTERFLIES WERE A BIT THIN ON THE GROUND EARLIER IN THE SUMMER BUT WE NOW HAVE A LOT OF GATEKEEPERS, PEACOCKS AND SMALL TORTOISHELLS WITH A FEW COMMAS, CABBAGE WHITES AND HOLLY BLUES. ONLY A COUPLE OF RED ADMIRALS THOUGH. INNUMERABLE LITTLE FAWN JOBBIES FLOATING AROUND - TOO INDISTINCT AND SIMILAR TO IDENTIFY BUT THE SORT YOU SEE A LOT OF AT DUSK.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,031

Here in London lots of bees, medium on the butterflies but sadly for ladybirds I have only seen 1 in two years.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,082

That reminds me. I've only seen one ladybird this year.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I think they're all in my garden! We have had beautiful displays of butterflies this year, you rarely don't see one.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148

Plenty of bees but not so many butterflies here. Weather hasn't been great for them flying though. Hopefully they'll appear more regularly in the next few weeks.

Not seen any ladybirds, but I haven't been around quite so much this summer. Plenty last year so perhaps it will improve for next year image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've seen as many butterflies as last year but not a single ladybird.  I also haven't seen any wasps either, not that I would want to.  I'm sure there are some, my green-gauges have been nibbled, looks pretty wasp-like.

Bees have increased which I put down to our cutting down of trees in our front garden and replacing them with flowers.  I was worried cutting them down would affect the birds by reducing nesting sites but it turns out they nest in the telegraph pole and not in the trees!

• karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230

Lots of bees, butterflies and ladybirds here I'm glad to say. My nasturtiums are being blitzed by caterpillars but I'm happy to provide food for the next butterfly generation, cabbage whites or something similar I think. We l also have painted lady, red admiral and some little blue ones. With regards to ladybirds we have a lot of native ones and a few non native but my plants are so full of aphids there's plenty food for everyone!

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

only ladybirds I've seen this year are harlequin ones, no natives,

butterflies have been down, but what I've noticed more is the massive reduction of bats (and consequently a massive increase in midge and mosquito!)