My squirrels LOVE spicy food!

So I read an article which stated that one sure fire way to stop squirrels from eating all my bird food was to mix it with cayenne pepper and chilli powder. I did so only to find a family of squirrels munching away at it the very next day. They seem to like the birdseed Bombay mix more than the plain stuff. Another rubbish gardening myth - like copper wire for slugs. I put copper tape round my hostas and it had zero impact. Who comes up with this stuff? 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,983

Those cunning marketing people.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • The helpful herpetologist

You maybe able to let me know if the pic is a frog or toad? I found this little fella among the overgrown grass in my newly owned allotment. No ponds or water nearby as far as i know though image

Have only seen the 1 so far but just thought it a slightly odd place to spot one!

Many Thanks image

Char

• Random, considering the thread topic!

I had a nosey at your profile after noticing the pic image

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,878

that's a toad, but seeing as its on a squirrel thread, a little bit strange to post here.

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 433

I'm not a thread purist Char....anything goes on my threads, especially if they are amphibian related.

Its a bufo bufo or common toad.

• Ahhh i think he was just a baby looking at pics on Google image

But these are OK hanging around my allotment?  - obviously veryyy wet at the moment but no water souce when we've had a couple of hot days image

Also, just so I've included myself in the actual thread ... Lol.. Slugs were eating the life outta my passiflora climber, I found some amazing stuff that seems to have stopped them and can also be used to treat the ground you see them around most often (I treated my yard and literally had 15-20 dead slugs the next morning!) 

• labelling advises can be used as a concentrate and mixed with water you'll be feeding to your plants they take a tendancy to.

Also great for those, like myself, with a cat / dog who really don't want to risk a poorly pet because they've ate the pellets you left image !

• image Read original post and realised the above had nothing to do with initial thread

The blames on Verdun.. all that slug talk, haha, I had to share my newly found magic potion!