Forum home Plants

Plants I won't be growing again next year

Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Plants I didn't really get on with:

Gladioli, they took up too much room in the flower bed and the flowers didn't last long. A bit old fashioned. I also planted too many lairy colours, should have stuck to white or green or just one bright colour.

Salvia: Nice purple stems but again they didn't last very long and just looked brown for most of the summer so I had to cut them off then they were done.

Bedding begonias; Wrong colours, should have gone for one colour instead of the 1970's 'decade that taste' forgot variety packs that I bought.

Plants I loved and will definitely buy or sow more of next year:

Foxgloves, never had them before and I have no idea why not.

Gaura, love these to death, never saw them before this year. So floaty and elegant and no dead heading.

Gooseneck loosetrife, again love these big time. Another plant I didn't know existed.

Sarcococca confusa,have 4 in the garden now and the scent is amazing in the dead of winter. They look nice too.

Euonymous, my new best friend. Got them everywhere different varieties. They cheer up the garden in winter too and winter is long.

Potentilla: Never used to like these but I bought a crimson one and it has flowered tirelessly all summer.

• Agree with the glads and begonias...both a bit rubbish. My list would include Hostas (my Hosta patch became a slug canteen and then toxic from all the chems I had to put down to keep them away - not worth the hassle). Also, Lobelia Cardinalis for much the same reason - although the ones that survived look great.

As I'm an avid wildlife gardener, l would agree with the foxgloves but would add sunflowers, fennel and borage. All grow really tall and I have a patch dedicated to all four of these and it is a hive of activity (no pun intended) with bees. These are 'keepers'.

I love my majoram patch as well. 

• JudojubJudojub Posts: 108

I am very new to gardening and have to agree that I don't like the look of begonias. I planted some in my border and they are still going strong but I just don't like them!!.

• B3B3 Posts: 24,434

Didn't grow petunias this year apart from  couple that came in a sinbin multipack. No regretsimage won't plant them next year either. Love the smell of the dark ones. Life's too short to keep up with the deadheading.

@ flower bud between the lot of themimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JudojubJudojub Posts: 108

B3.  I have to say that I absolutely love Petunias!! I have them in containers and hanging baskets and love deadheading them. Being new to gardening I did cut them all back a little while ago as I read it would help with blooming. I panicked when after 3 weeks or so there was no sign of life but they did eventually all come back image. They are slowly starting to lose it now and it makes me a little sad!!

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

the jasmine has one more chance next year, if it doesn't flower it's going (been saying that the last couple of years though) gave up on petunias due to aphids, bizzy lizzy as they all seemed to grow flat, and begonias last year as i can't stand the texture of the leaves.  this year I have fallen in love with Hollyhocks and lupins and will be growing lots more next year.  have just bought nicotiana ( not sure that's spelt right image ) seeds and I'm looking forward to seeing them grow image

• Tray14Tray14 Posts: 210

Have petunias every year - deep purple - have begonias first time this year - both trailing and upright - really enjoyed their display.

hostas - that's a given - love them and my Gunnera.

made up 2 hanging baskets with trailing Fushia - not doing that again - too dull.

cosmos - yes please and loads of different grasses - happy my dahlia came up again and adore the alliums - canna lily - lush.

pleased with climbing hydrangea and clematis Avalanche. Fed up with aquilegia and ladies mantle - THEY ARE EVERYWHERE! 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I was pleased with most things this year simply because they were mostly "gimmes" and I shoved them in any old where. Lyn sent me calendula seeds and they are a gorgeous soft yellow and go with everything.

Loving my heucheras and lupins.

My Cosmos were an impulse buy and were ...meh! image

The roses were a disaster due to the wet conditions. They hardly flowered and giant buds fell off in mush before they could even open. Very sad. I'm still considering digging them up but then the sun comes out for a day, the flowers open and they are stunning... image

A couple of my roses suffered badly with all the rain. I cut them back to sticks about six weeks ago. They've been covered in blooms for about a fortnight. Don't give up on them pp!

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I'm trying to persevere B3 but this year has been shocking. It has rained almost every day and they really don't like it. (Also they are vicious brutes image)

Last edited: 18 August 2016 21:08:07

I chopped mine in a fit of pique. It must've put the wind up them