Forum home Plants

Hebe and Euonymus - Back to front?

ShepsSheps Posts: 921

Good afternoon everyone,

I have just finished planting up my raised beds with Hebe and Euonymus and I am now wondering if I have planted the Hebe in the wrong position?

I planted the Hebe to the backs of the beds and the Euonymus to front of the beds.

The Euonymus are as follows,

Golden Harlequin

Emerald Gaiety

Blondy

The Hebe is Variegata and grows to about 40cm, so will the Hebe's be over taken by the growth of the Euonymus and lost at the back of the beds? and if so can I prune the Euonymus to keep them below the height of Hebe.

Sorry for the long winded question image

Thanks

Sheps...image

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Those containers are lovely. They will look great in winter too when everything else has died back image

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,249

Agree with Verdun, the odd grass would look really good in there.

He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

The beds are really lovely - mitred corners tooimage.  I don't think I'd try hebes as a pyramid shape but I would clip back the euonymous to complement the ball shapes.  A couple of trailers (even ivy) would soften the edges and would be very manageable in a raised bed.  

• ShepsSheps Posts: 921

Thanks very much for the advice everyone...good to know I can prune them all to the desired shape.

Thanks Verdun...I like the idea of a grass, do you mean in a separate container or in the raised beds?

Also, how hard can I prune back the Euonymus?

@ Lou, Doc and Lesley...pleased you like the raised beds image

I had the same thought re the ivy, Lesley...I was going to plant some in the corners of the beds to help hide the gaps, I had 6 small ones in the basket this morning but put them back, wish I would have bought them now.

Sheps...image

Thanks very much, Verdun...I have a big pot just waiting for a plant, will check out some of the grasses.

Sheps...image

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Sheps you could go into business judging by the amount of praise your planters have generated.. 

Lesley K. First time I saw them that's exactly what I thought. ooOOoo mitred corners! image

Sheps I'm surprised you're coping with the euonymous at all...what with them having sticky out bits and that. image

I've been looking at grasses for a container I have going spare and the Stipa tenuissima has really caught my eye. It would give your set up a bit of "foof" factor. I'm hoping it makes my pot look like Tina Turner. image

Ey up, PP...think I'll just have to cope the Euonymus, but if all the sticky out bits gets too much, I'll just look at my nice, neat, mitred corners and calm will descend once again image

Just done a search for Stipa tenuissima; very nice indeed, and as you say, very Tina Turner image

BTW, planter envy is a terrible thing image

Sheps...image