Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant propagation

I have just moved to a newbuild house and am starting a garden from scratch, garden size is approx 15 X 13 m sq. To save money and because I enjoy gardening, I'm interested in growing some of plants and flowers myself but don't want to fork out for a greenhouse until I have more knowledge and hopefully some success in cultivating plants. I've had some success with softwood cuttings but with seeds I'm struggling a bit. I thought a mini plastic greenhouse would be a good place to start without wasting too much money.  Are there any that gardeners would reccommend. Also can  anyone recommend a book on the different methods of propagation that is clear and easy to follow?image

Last edited: 17 August 2016 13:56:14

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

Never underestimate the windowsill as a space to start seeds. I always plant seeds indoors in spring rather than trusting them to the variations of temperature in the greenhouse.

Decades ago I bought "Mr Smith Propagates Plants" which accompanied the BBC programmes by the late Geoffrey Smith and I have never needed to buy another book on the subject so cannot recommend anything published this century but Mr Smith's books are still available from Amazon and other sellers of second hand books.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lilysillylilysilly Posts: 511

For a book that explains every plant propagation technique you'll ever need, with clear advice and pictures l recommend Grow Your Own Garden by Carol Klein.

• Bright starBright star Posts: 1,153

Thanks guys, I'll look out for those books! It looks as though my Christmas pressie list is going to be very long and propagation themed??

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I start off with electric propagators on window sills, then move them into the GH when it gets milder. Good luck with your new garden.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

Hi aym280, I live in the NW near the coast so winters are usually mild, I've managed to get some seeds to germinate and in fact pricked them out today into individual pots, yay!  My cuttings are doing ok and I'll soon have enough Salvia Amistad to fill my garden and the neighbours!  Window sill seems to be ok and on the floor in front of patio doors. I bought the mr smith propogates plants which is ok but it's a bit  too general for a beginner. i will investigate some of the other books mentioned 

Salvia Amistad  is a new plant for me too, I planted 3 together and they have formed a fantastic almost shrub like clump, it's beautiful and I've planted crocosmia Lucifer next to it and it looks fab!  The amount of info on YouTube is incredible but confusing (lots of info about growing cannabis!!) I've also been reading up about  making your own seed tape to plant out in the garden, seems a good way to space out your veggies and flowers and reduces time spent thinning out. I will make some over the winter ready to plant out next year. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I took  Amistad cuttings last October. They overwintered in small pots in the greenhouse, then into 15 cm (6 inch) pots to grow on. I planted out in May. They have been flowering all summer. Three plants  around 18 inches apart have knitted into a huge shrub like thing taller than I am. They certainly like that spot. They are about the only large thing that hasn't fallen over without staking. Most of my tall plants are at very strange angles.

If you get very skilled at cuttings and want to try grafting, you may be able to find a second hand copy of " The Grafters Handbook "by R J Garner.