Help! North or West facing garden?

I'm very lucky to be able to choose a plot for our new house and there is either a North facing garden that is surrounded by only by other gardens (the house itself is 2 story) or a West facing garden with another house at the NW corner that comes across half of the bottom of the garden (no overlooking Windows fortunately). The house isn't built yet and there aren't any others to compare it to. Our current house is South facing and it's unbearable in summer (no shade at all) but I do like the sunshine, especially to eat outside in an evening- please give me advice!!! 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,642

My house is North facing and its a cool haven to come into from the hot South facing garden during our Summer months (ha!) but its sometimes a bit too cool in the Winter - thank goodness for central heating.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,668

West facing would be my choice. Much more scope, and you'll be able to create shady areas within it anyway. image

When I was a baby, my parents bought a new house and my Dad picked the (west facing) plot because of the aspect. Don't think it was too bad a choice! 

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• B3B3 Posts: 9,070

If I move house, I would love, at least, a west- facing window so that I could see the sunset. It's so frustrating to see the colours in the sky and know there's a beautiful sunset behind the houses.

Ours is almost N/S. I like the cool north facing  patio.

When I was worrying about the aspect of the garden, a sensible friend told me that once I got to the middle of the garden, it would face in all directions anywayimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • WateryWatery Posts: 388

If my garden is east of my house, does that make it east or west facing?   EIther way, it seems to matter more to the shade to consider aspect within the garden (i.e. north facing wall, south facing fence).

Last edited: 17 August 2016 08:27:20

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,280

West facing would be my choice too.  Another house at the NW corner will have little to no effect on the amount of sunlight getting into the garden.  A West facing garden gives more options for plant choice than North facing too.

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,151

Not sure, I've always assumed that if I stand at the front door with a compass in my hand the compass points showing are what my garden is - the front garden therefore is North East facing so it gets sun in the morning and shade after the sun has passed over the house and into the back garden.

I could be wrong.

• This advice is excellent thanks!! As you can see from the time of my post I'd been up a while still trying to decide... I'll let you know what we go for! 

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

West for me too; you can grow so much more. North  is cold in winter. Shade can be created for when it's too hot but there are other things to consider too, like slopes, any trees or structures already in place, soil and so on..

• Go for west. You'll have sun for most of the day (apart from early morning) coming from the south, and then lots of evening sun from the west for eating dinner (drinking wine) outside.

I have a south west facing garden and its fabulous, lots of sun. You can always add shade if you want with trees/pergolas etc.