Forum home Problem solving

Which Greenhouse

im looking at greenhouses and it's making me dizzy. WeI've in Yorkshire in quite a windy exposed location. I want a 6ft x 10 Ft green aluminium one and have come across the Elite High eaves and the Hreemhouse people Hercules Trafalgar both look pretty good and these not much difference in price but as I've not had a greenhouse before and it's over £1000 I want to make sure it's a good choice and something that will last well. both these have a high door and roof as my partner is well over 6ft so that's important too. Does anyone have either of these or can recommend something similar? Thanks image

• pansyfacepansyface Posts: 21,568

WE HAVE THE ELITE HIGH EAVES 6x8 AND HAVE HAD THEM FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS. THEY WERE QUITE TRICKY TO PUT UP, EVEN THOUGH WE ARE PRACTICAL PEOPLE. THEY ARE OK THOUGH.

I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THE HERCULES TRAFALGAR SO I LOOKED AT THE DETAILS. I WISH THAT I HAD KNOWN ABOUT IT. I LIKE THE FACT THAT THE GLASS IS NOT HELD IN BY CLIPS. OUR CLIPS ARE FOR EVER WORKING LOOSE OR FLYING OFF. I LIKE THE FACT THAT THE MANUFACTURERS SAY "IF YOU LIVE IN A WINDY PLACE THIS IS THE GREENHOUSE FOR YOU".

I SEE THAT THEY ARE ON OFFER UNTIL THE END OF AUGUST.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 35,819

I have an Elite 8 x 8 high eaves greenhouse with a double door and toughened glass.

Very happy with it.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thanks both.  Pansy, the personi spoke to about the Elite advised to go for bar capping, from what I've read it goes over the joints and keeps the glass secure. It's an extra on the Elite but standard on the Hercules. it's the building that sounds the worst bit, a few days to construct from what we were told. 

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

don't go simply for biggest you can afford, you need sturdy,

I made the mistake of getting a large but on the cheap side one, now four years later the polycarbonate has gone crispy and i'm looking to replace them with glass.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 9,979

I'm also going for a new g/house.
    From all the reviews I've read over the last few months, Rhino seem to frequently come out on top for sturdiness. So that's what I'm getting.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • It will definitely be toughened glass, to be honest I don't think polycarbonate would be strong enough for where we live as it can be very windy and luving on a hill there's no shelter from it. I'll have a look at Rhino too, thanks