Something New

I love watching gardeners world at long meadow on tv but can't help thinking it lacks one very important garden in its design and growing at this time. There must be lots of ideas that could be actioned into a children's garden to be included in the program for the future.  It could include some child friendly features and play areas and plants as well as some safety tips and ideas. It could encourage young growers and include one or two now and again in the program. Think about it BBC.

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,561

Now that is a good idea. How to camouflage a trampoline. Best tools for children to use.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,880

........ or just a separate children's version of Gardeners World at a time more appropriate for young growers to watch it.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thought about this but not sure if popular enough. It would be good to get ideas on planting for children and blending play areas in. There must be some clever ideas out there.

Growing a few salad plants has been so rewarding with my granchildren.  They get very excited with the results and picking. Its so lovely to see.

They love feeding the birds and bug hunting. We have a cabbage white butterfly breeding station on what was my nasturtians (now eaten) got them feeding them cabbage leaves now. 

Planning a treasure hunt soon. 

My garden is just as important to them as it is to me because they live in a flat. More grandparents might be encouraged to consider this. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,560

I am also not sure how popular this would be. I think those who post on here more than once are not really representative of the wider audienceimage, as most of the stuff sold at GCs and the DIY chains is for instant effect, targeted at decorators rather than gardeners.

What gets children interested is the sharing of experience and I suspect many of their parents are too busy and lack the time and the interest to spend that amount of time in the garden with their children, or to learn along with them if they don't have the knowledge already.

What I also find interesting is that though we don't hive off kids to nannies and nurseries like the Victorians they are thought to need their own sub-culture: children's menus (chicken nuggetsimage) and play areas, with plasticky constructions that seem designed expressly NOT to blend in.

When my brother and I grew up in a London suburb we had nothing but an inflatable plastic paddling pool on the hottest of days, but we were always in the garden, or the alleyway that ran behind the houses and hardly ever bored. We had dens in the raspberry canes, we collected caterpillars and  held races with them on the back steps and reared them to become butterflies and moths in jam jars. I cut twisting pathways through the lawn grass with shears and turned them into 'show jumping courses' (anyone remember Pat Smythe?) using sticks and bricks and the old leather pouffe for the 'wall'. When I was a bit older I helped mum with the fruit picking and the weeding and learned the names of all her roses and had my own patch of garden.

My own daughter shocked the local innkeeper at the age of seven or so, by selecting and eating (!) moules provencale from the blackboard menu and she learned about the garden from sharing it with me. Always the first thing when we both got in in the afternoon was have a walk round the garden to see what was new. She learned counting sowing peas and beans and multiplication on rows in seed trays and Latin names for nearly everything, though Euphorbia Griffithii will always be known as tomato soup plant here nowimage Now as an adult she has a sound knowledge of plants and a much better sense of design than me. We love going to plant fairs, gardens and shows together and I always consult her about any changes I am making in the garden, as it is still a shared enterprise even though she now lives in a city apartment.

Last edited: 17 August 2016 09:49:06

• Lovely to read your reply, so nice to hear of someone else sharing their garden with family as well.  I do remember Pat Smythe, and Marion Cotes with Stroller who managed to jump those big fences even though he was below 15 hands. 

Last edited: 17 August 2016 15:19:03